Transparent / Flat Bass Cabinets…Who's making them?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bassballs27, Mar 1, 2014.

1. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Sounds like another repeat thread that has been re-hashed many times, but I'm looking for some more comments on flat sounding cabs. Are there any out there? Calling all the audiophiles of the forum.

We'll see if this post ends up getting too subjective.

2. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Fearless is pretty flat.

3. Jefff

Jefff Supporting Member

As I understand it, that's their whole deal.

I could be wrong.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I believe Acme Sound would qualify. Certainly to my ears. Especially in the lows.

MM

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Cirk

Cirk

A decent PA cab? Of course, always look at the response curve.

Wish I could find a cab like my Polk 10A home theater speakers. They're good for 20hz to 20,500hz +/- 2db with no EQ.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    The main question for bass cabs is: Flat down to what frequency? That will determine what the speaker can do, based on the known tradeoffs between size, efficiency, and low frequency extension.

8. cnltb

cnltb

I think wayne jones 2x10 do that.
    Glockenklang too.
    And Hevos.

9. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
  10. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

FWIW: Even if you used a flat studio amp and monitor, the room will still have a big impact on the overall result.

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Eqing to the room is loads easier when not fighting other stuff.

12. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

True, but the point is - even after using a noise generator, lab mic and computer analyzing software to EQ to the room, there be will still be change depending on where you are sitting/standing in the room.

13. catgut

catgut

It is a losing battle. You can only really say "here in this spot, don't turn your head and don't move". Crappiest rigs I have ever heard were the ones proposing flat colorless delivery. HiFi systems are something else entirely. Anyway, why worry? If it sounds good to you and is your impression of flat, you win!

14. bassballs27

bassballs27 Supporting Member

Great comments so far everyone.

A couple of recommendations so far.

Let's make it a little more difficult.

Let's forget about PA cabinets and reference monitors.

Of all the cabinets, specifically designed for bass, what appears to be the most transparent and/or flattest sounding you have heard (in most rooms you've played in).

15. seamonkey

seamonkey

You're on the right track being objective. Best to get a cab with published measurements. If you're going to do amp or cabinet modeling you're best starting with a pro design. No amount of EQ can fix some really bad cabinets.

"Sounding flat" and actually measuring flat are different things, unless you actually equate them to measurements. Playing your bass, or other instrument, to get an even sound, you have trained yourself to pluck harder or softer on different notes. Like moving up the neck you're probably playing lighter. You're naturally EQing.

Seeing a graph, then hearing how it sounds you will easily figure it out what the measurements mean to our ears and brain.

Many FOH cabs do publish honest measurements. And some bass cabinet designs are good. Check out some of the JBL pro line. On and off axis measurements are shown. Many FOH include such measurements. The FOH engineers demand it. And it goes back to who's banking the show, they have requirements on performance, and the systems have to meet it. This isn't subjective sound.

You can find measurements on Greenboy designs, and other good designers. Some mentioned above.
    All the major brand FOH have measurements, they need it for the riders on FOH contracts. They also have EASE files so you can model them in rooms, halls, etc.

Watch out for some of the bizarre designs promoted here that the makers will claim no measurements can can be made of their performance. It's more likely that the measure really bad, and no amount of post EQ is going to help them. Some of these makers have tried to claim they are FOH worthy but were beaten down by FOH community on their false claims. A lot of pseudoscience around "bass" only cabinets, but there are a few gems.

16. Flatbass

Flatbass

Glockenklang. Accuracy and detail.

17. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, I always take the term flat with a large grain of salt. I prefer wide frequency response better.

18. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

exactly. Flat does not generally equal bigger frequency response. For example I've played just about every cab ampeg currently makes and some that have been discontinued. The flattest id give to the 210he(discontinued) or the 410he. The 810 doesn't have the same highs because it lacks a horn, the hlf cabs have a boomy low end.

19. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

20. sratas

sratas

my Barefaced Big Baby 2 is absolutely colourless, clear and transparent. It's so precise in translating the bass+ amp tone into loud sound that it can be too revealing for some.
    Myself, I'm still thinking if I like this concept or a more eq'd cab, like my Berg.

One day, I run a 25 Hz sine wave at fairly loud volume to break in the monster 12 driver, and the deep bass that oozed from that box has been smashing. The builder recommends using between 150 and 800 watts of power to feed that driver, awesome thermal power limit and Xmax-xlim.

This is my first true fidelity cab, never tried a fearful or audiokinesis or ATS, but the combo of sensitivity-tone-ability to go deep, form factor and weight is top notch...

21. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future Gold Supporting Member

Look at PA stuff…..

If you insist on using Bass specific stuff , bring your iPod and listen to your favourite CD through the cab.