Transporter 115 Reload?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bryan gibson, Mar 25, 2014.

1. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

OK, so my well-used Hartke TP 115 cab is starting to sound a bit tired and "flappy." The cab itself is still solid, and $$ is tight at the moment so....

.....is this thing worth reloading? What would be a decent semi-budget driver to install (sorry I don't have the box dimensions handy at the moment)? Yeah, I know a K140 would do the trick, but I'm broke at the moment. Amp head is an old "Model 2000" with a SWR 210 as the top cab. Overall tone is very good, but the speaker is starting to show it's age and getting weaker. Any (affordable) suggestions?
  2. oerk

oerk

I can measure the inner volume of my 115 XL, which is the same size AFAIK, but I don't know if the Transporter cab has the same port dimensions.

If you could measure the port area and depth it would be possible to offer suggestions.

What's your price range?
  3. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    What do you mean by "tired and flappy"? Is the cone coming loose from the surround or the dustcap separating? Is there hardware or glue joints on the cab coming loose?

Speakers do continue "breaking in" over their lifespan, but they don't just tire out and be flappy, unless this thing has overheated at some point and got its voicecoil deformed.

Anyway, typical sized and ported 115, Eminences Beta 15 is a decent budget replacement. Solid step up from there is the CB158. Might be a good Dayton alternative from Partsexpress. More money than that and it's time to consider something beyond a simple reload and/or maybe tweaking of tuning ports.
  4. jsh008

jsh008

If you're happy with the sound, why not just get the model number off the basket and do a recone?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. oerk

oerk

Listen to Will. Find the source of the problem first. And if I may offer another suggestion: are you sure it's the driver, not the cab? These things can be hard to track down.
  7. bryan gibson

bryan gibson

I don't hear any rattling from the box/hardware, etc, no farting/rattling at lower volumes, and no visible damage to the speaker itself. It just sounds like it's starting to "break up" at slightly lower volume levels than before. I bought it used, so I don't know how many "miles" it had on it prior. Of course it may just be my imagination, too:) Thanks for all replies, BTW.