Transposable chord chart app for android

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by embellisher, Aug 21, 2013.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Media:
    There is an app for iOS called Onsong, but I don't have an IPad. I do have an Android tablet and an Android phone.

I don't need all of the features of Onsong, just the ability to add existing charts and the ability to transpose them with a single click or a slider.

Anybody know of anything like this for Android?

Thanks!

2. elgecko

elgecko

Sounds like you're talking about iRealB. Best $10 I've ever spent.

3. JumboJack

JumboJack Supporting Member

I'm not sure but I think Planning Center's "Music Stand" service can transpose.

4. moles

moles

iRealb is awesome - I'm not sure at the moment how easy it is to add charts that aren't from the iRealb forums (in fact IIRC you can't really...)
    Check out Fakebook for Android - its like a buck our two, and really just a knockoff of iRealb etc BUT can add charts to the library (in the form of jpegs at least) EDIT: It can import other formats too, I'm just not sure which ones ;)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fastplant

fastplant

I have something on my Android called iRealBook, are we talking about the same thing? It's pretty BA. It can transpose super easy. But I got it free.

7. embellisher

Media:
    How did you get it free?

8. fastplant

fastplant

It was free in the Play Store. I think it's different though, you can't add anything to it. It's mostly just older standards.

9. fastplant

fastplant

I just looked it up. Apparently iReal Book was the precurser to iReal b and isn't available anymore.

10. elgecko

elgecko

A lot of apps are free when they first come out. Eventually though, they start charging.

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Creator of: iGigBook, iGigBook Mobile, iGigBook Index, iGigBook Pager
    OnSong charts i.e. lyrics with chord symbols on top not blocked out by measures are different from iRealb/iRealbook charts blocked out by measures.

12. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

I have ireal b, and it's a great app that transposes the charts within the app (and there are hundreds of them) easily. But IME, getting new charts in it is something of a pain as the charting app is a live web app only and can be painfully slow.

I have not tried it for a while, and they may have made some changes to make it easier to use, but I gave up on it about 8 months ago for the reason I stated above.

I still carry it on gigs though, because it has helped me on several occasions when someone called a tune in a different key.

13. embellisher

Media:
    Sounds like Fakebook is the way to go, huh? I am doing praise & worship, I'm sure most of those aren't in IRealb.

14. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

i Real Book came with about 1,000 songs.

i Real B comes with only a few open domain charts, but all the songs from the original are available on the forums to download or trade with other people.

So I'm told.

I've got iRealB and downloaded only what I wanted. Awesome program, transposing is fairly easy.

I'll check out Onsong.

15. Richland123

Richland123

I found this website that will transpose songs to any key as long you have the chords to put in their database. I used it last month when I did a fill in gig. It saved a lot of time and was very cool.

http://www.logue.net/xp/

16. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

Take a look at Songbook ... http://linkesoft.com/songbook/ ... I use it on my iMac and iPod touch (soon, iPad). Priced right, too ... just $5.99!

17. moles

moles

Not sure if they've made some serious changes, it if this is a YMMV situation, but I find making charts in iRealb fairly quick and painless. The app itself (Android version) handles that function without having to connect to the Web...

18. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

Hmm, I must be missing something here. I mean, charts for phones/tablets/etc are cool - but, I can pretty much transpose on the fly - why do you guys/gals need transposing apps/software?

19. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

I can transpose on the fly too, but I have to admit, these apps make it a heck of a lot easier when a singer gets up and says, "OK, let's do 'I'll Remember April' in Db. Ready, one, two ..."

20. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

hahaha, ok - thanks.

21. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I don't ... but people I play with often do. Just makes it easier for everyone (but ME in particular!) if I can hand out charts. Also useful if you have a jazz chart with a gazillion "jazz chords" written in Eb or Bb and your chick singer insists you do it in A.

Edit --- I hadn't read the previous post, but I can see I'm not alone!