1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trash treasures...homemade acoustic piccolo beast!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by eddievanbassman, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Ugly.....but awesome!:bassist:

yeah so I had this old first act guitar I found in the trash and decided to do something with it. So I busted out some out bass strings an a,d,and g. And an old lap steel string and voila! Little piccolo bass funkiness! It's a monster and plays very well. I really think I should make it look better though hahaha and maybe eventually add some electronics. And maybe fix the string spacing its a lil weird but really don't effect my playing. And idk why the pic is upside down oh well hahaha. Here's a video of me messing around on it if you wanna hear it.http://s681.beta.photobucket.com/user/eddievanbassman/media/IMG_0242_zps6013f962.mp4.html
    [​IMG]

2. That's a good idea. I've never come across a guitar/bass in the trash before. :(

I wonder if you could put a set of Fender VI Bass strings on it.

3. No the scale is way too short it can't tune to a low e way too floppy. But oh how I want a fender bass vi hahaha.

4. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    From the pic it looks like it has some mojo........How does it smell? LOL.

5. Smell mojo! You could market/sell this as a Road Worn acoustic bass, with an astronomical price tag. :)

6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    I did that back in 1975. You're a little late. ;)

7. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    Yeah, I would totally pay $1500.00 for a Road Worn acoustic like that!

8. Hahaha some of us weren't lucky enough to be alive back in 75 hahaha

9. Like cheap first act wood hahaha....nah it smells like freshly baked cinnamon rolls..

10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    This has been mentioned before but there is a documentary about kids in Paraguay who make instruments from items found in the trash. Its pretty amazing.They even have an orchestra called the Landfill Harmonic. Here is a link to the trailer for the film

http://vimeo.com/52711779

11. That's awesome!

12. Cool save, man!

Amazing video! Thanks for sharing that.

13. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens
    That is a cool vid. I wonder where they're getting thr wind instruments. The flutes and saxes look rusty and old, but not put together from trash.

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I was wondering the same thing. I think they are finding parts in the trash and making a complete instrument.

15. I found a seafoam green Samick Stages 4-string in the dump.... wobbly neck... took about 6 months till the truss actually moved...still needs a lil' 'lectrics fixin...can't wait to get it in the "game"

16. That's awesome.. I bought that same bass sea foam green and all haha off of craigslist about a year ago.