Trashed pawn shop P bass converted to left handed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JEDI BASS, Nov 23, 2013.

1. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

I rescue pawn shop projects from time to time... like some people drag home stray animals. This Samick P bass was 25 or 35 bucks, can't remember cause its sat for 2 years or so. It was missing a knob, all the tuner ferrules, the G string, and the G bridge saddle and intonation screw were removed but included.
  2. JEDI BASS

I'll post pics shortly.
  3. JEDI BASS

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385195695.366981.jpg
    Also, it was filthy!!! And it had many deep gouges and a tip of the pickguard missing.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385195754.982687.jpg
  4. JEDI BASS

So, this bass sat untouched until I got a message from a friend looking for a cheap first bass for a left handed girl she knows. That's when the fun began. First thing was to see if the tuners were gonna work.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385195942.333139.jpg
    They were all warped/bent from being used without the ferrules. Why!?!?! Argh!

So I bought a set of MIM Fender tuners off eBay. They're hopefully gonna arrive soon.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JEDI BASS

Next was to see if the bridge was workable. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385196111.532719.jpg
    Some of the saddle height adjustments screws were chewed up too bad to use. So I looked in my parts drawer and found an old Hipshot copy that I'd removed from a bass I sold a while back.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385196280.649433.jpg
    It'll work, but I'd need to drill holes.
  7. JEDI BASS

I tapped on the nut and it slid out pretty easy and in one piece. I flipped it and glued it back in :). ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385196416.433238.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385196427.883530.jpg
  8. JEDI BASS

I then decided to clean the filth off the neck. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385196480.149428.jpg
    This is much better, although the rosewood needs some lemon oil. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385196518.166060.jpg
  9. JEDI BASS

I found tuner ferrules in my parts drawer. That's when I discovered that the Samick tuner holes are too big for Fender style tuners.... probably why the ferrules are missing.

The "fix it right or don't fix it at all" in me wanted to plug the holes with a dowel rod then redrill them. That would be too much time and effort for this particular project. So, I took some thin cardboard (little thicker than a business card) and cut some strips that I wrapped around the ferrules. They then fit perfectly snug in the holes. I flooded the cardboard (from the backside of the headstock) with super glue. Cheap fix that should last a lifetime. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385197046.249378.jpg
    I also replaced the rusty string tree with the WAY too long and luckily only half way screwed-in wood screw... with a new roller tree that I had laying around. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385197189.382762.jpg
  10. JEDI BASS

I removed the pots since they'd be in the way. And, I soldered the pickup straight to the jack. I'm not a fan of humbucker P basses anyways, so this should sound more appealing from what I've read. I had some plain white stickers from work that I covered the holes in the pickguard with.... cheap fix. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385197463.482767.jpg
    I also aligned the bridge, marked where to drill with a hobby knife, drilled and mounted the Hipshot copy.
  11. JEDI BASS

I then moved the strap button to the short lower horn. I put the neck back on and checked the bass for balance on a strap. Without tuners, it balanced fine. But, I think I'll need to extend the strap mount once the tuners are installed.
  12. JEDI BASS

Next I pondered what to do to put side-dots on the underside of the neck.

I settled on drilling holes and filling them with paint. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385197911.200825.jpg
    It went well! I'll let the paint dry for a day or two then top the holes off with thin super glue.
  13. JEDI BASS

Now.... I'm just waiting on tuners so I can hear how the bass sounds with the stock pickup. I have a couple cheap P bass pups (one is from a '67 Kay P copy) in my parts drawer and some new input jacks should I need one.

So far, I'll be able to let go of this bass (without losing anything) for under a hundred bucks.
  14. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Cool project, sub'd
  15. JEDI BASS

Thanks! Having fun with it! I'm gonna throw in some free lessons too, just to get her off the ground.
  16. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

Nice job, especially on the side markers. I enjoy projects like this, I did the same thing to a cort action 4 bass for a left handed friend that I got for around $30.
  17. JEDI BASS

Thanks. Yeah, the best part is seeing someone get their first bass :).
  18. KISSbestfan

KISSbestfan

I have two friends that bought Samicks, one had the same model. Here in Poland samick is pretty expensive tough, so Ii prefer older basses. But its not bad eh, so good luck
  19. JEDI BASS

It's a pretty solid instrument.

Tuner install finished. Had to plug the old screw holes and drill new ones. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385299425.785038.jpg
  20. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

this whole time I thought the red on the headstock was a blemish, and it was driving me insane. I can now rest knowing its part of the decal. cool project
  21. JEDI BASS

Filed the nut slots to get the action perfect. Intonation and relief set and thumbrest installed. I must say.... this bass sounds and plays better than any "first bass" should! Hope she enjoys it! I've figured out a few basslines upside down do I could give it a test run. FEELS WEIRD!! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385308469.037052.jpg