1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traveling/Airlines with your pedal board. Share your experiences / Bag use

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TonyP-, Feb 14, 2014.

1. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsments listed in profile
    Traveling via the airlines with your pedal board. Share your experiences.

I usually don't travel with a pedal board but it looks like I'm going to start to since I need those more of my tones/effects for the travel gigs.

Anybody have bad experiences with TSA folks?

What are you using for bags?

I'm currently using the Mono bag with Pedaltrain 2. I'm assuming that should be good enough with checking in protection wise.

Cheers

2. TonyP-

Disclosures:
  3. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't check anything that you don't want tossed, dropped, stepped on or buried.

4. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I wouldn't check a soft bag as is! I fly pretty regularly with my pedals, sometimes my large board (built into a roadcase) & sometimes a small board (pt mini). If I bring the mini, I pack it in my suitcase for extra protection.

Something like a PT2 in a bag I highly suggest you carry it on & if they insist, gate check it.

There are never any guarantees when flying, so think about insurance!

99 out of 100 flights you probably won't have any damage or loss problems, but it just takes that 1 time to really bum you out! Damage can happen in road cases, too.

I know those Mono bags are great, but it's really asking for trouble to check that at the ticket counter. Trust me on this!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TonyP-

Disclosures:
    Thanks Guys...

I usually just a take a few pedals and DI that can go in my luggage easy enough.
    However new gigs are requiring more.

This seals the deal for me on NOT to do that.
    I really appreciate the input.

Cheers

7. JohnDavisNYC

JohnDavisNYC

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, D'Addario, Subdecay, Tonefactor
    Pedal train in the flight case. Hundreds of flight segments on that thing and it still (mostly) is holding together. Used to have the PedalPad thing way back when (like I used on the modern drummer video) but it got thrashed a few times by Air France. And sent to Africa instead of Berlin. and it kind of sucked in general.

But the Pedal Train is solid. and has stood up to lots of TSA abuse.

John