Traveling on an airplane with your full rig

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by KeddyLee, Feb 27, 2014.

1. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

We have a possible opportunity to travel pretty far for a gig.

Has anyone ever traveled by plane to a gig and had to take their rig? What is that like, how expensive can it be and what are the logistics of getting a full bands worth of gear on a plane?!?

I think I will be a nervous wreck the whole time.
  2. allanhearn

allanhearn

It is probably not affordable to take a full rig. Plus moving it around when you get where your going will be tough

Better option is to rent gear or have the club have a back line
  3. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

It's a rush tribute band. Our drummer's kit is pretty extensive and I have a (2) keyboard set up and PK-5 pedals as well, plus 2 basses. Even if they have a bac kline there is a lot for us to bring. I guess we're driving. How long a trip is it from Delaware to CA? Ugh.
  4. tgriley62

tgriley62

"How long a trip is it from Delaware to CA?" is a question that depends if your drummer is riding with you, then its going to go on foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Yeah, 42 hours on the road. Two solid days taking shifts behind the wheel. Long time. Ugh.
  7. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Unless the gig pays upwards of $10K, it will probably cost more to do than it's worth.
  8. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

oh man, that sounds terrible.
    I've never once traveled on a plane with a full rig.
    I bring a bass & a small pedal board and that's it.
    When I travel for drums, I take cymbals & snare, that's it.
    Don't kill yourself over this man. take 1 bass and your pedal setup. you can load your key patches on anything these days, just rent a Triton or Motif when you get there.
    Tell your drummer to suck it up and rent as well.
  9. KeddyLee

KeddyLee

Pretty close to $10k. Just a matter of logistics now. Still not certain but 90% possible.
  10. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lakland Basses | Hanson Guitars | Augustas Guitars | Paul & Mills Amplification
    If anyone has a truck, renting a trailer could be a cheaper option, and you can convoy out.
  11. pipFunk

pipFunk

I have no idea about your railway system (except what I remember from "Have Gun will travel"), but couldn't you do the journey by train and freight the rig?
  12. tgriley62

tgriley62

I don't think our passenger train service has changed much since then :p
  13. Modulator

Modulator

You might be better off trying to advance ship the pieces that can't be rented so that they arrive prior to the gig. Still kind of risky and potentially nerve wracking, but probably infinitely less expensive, assuming that the airline would even take your gear.

I moved from a 30 pound 8 space rack to a Genz Shuttle 9.0 and a pedalboard specifically due to fly in gigs. I bring my bass, head, and essential pedals and borrow or rent a decent cab.
  14. tgriley62

tgriley62

I can only dream of a day that I will need to fly cross country for a gig :(
  15. silvertone

silvertone

Where in CA?
    You can easily rent backline gear if you are near LA or SF.
  16. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Agreed.

I handle production for a lot of acts that come through on fly dates. Renting back line is SO much more convenient and less expensive. Just bring your guitars/bass, rent keys, drums, amps, etc. For bass players, there are some additional options if you have a compact, lightweight head. Just rent in the speaker of your choice (or at least something you can live with).

Last Sunday, I did a fly date with Don McClean. Piece of cake.
  17. P Town

P Town Guest

Don't you mean a piece of pie?
  18. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

Easy, I've seen some nasty stuff that one can do with a pie :smug:
  19. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

Point well taken... Ba-da-boom
  20. zontar

zontar

Media:
    Albums:
    For authenticity the drummer should ride out on a motorcycle.
  21. Michedelic

Michedelic

If you're coming in to play anywhere in the greater LA/SoCal area, check with these people, music gear freight is pretty much all they do---
    http://www.rockitcargo.com/content.asp?utm_nooverride=1&gclid=CIGImsbz9rwCFYZAMgodXxwAeQ

As stated earlier, renting from SIR or whoever is probably the best way for large stuff like speakers/amps, but I understand about the more personal stuff like keys/modules/basses/FX etc. You have road cases, yes? I hope you're getting paid well for this gig!