1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traveling to Seattle, Portland and San Francisco

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCT1422, Oct 21, 2012.

1. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

2. MTD_Kings_Ton

MTD_Kings_Ton Smelling Sounds since 1979 Supporting Member

If you want a NEAT Experience, hit Normandy Guitars in Salem, just south of Portland. They build Custom ALUMINUM bodied Basses and Guitars. :eek:

I got to play at there new Factory in Salem when they opened up at the new location. Jim Normandy (Owner/Builder) let me play on every bass he had in the place. Different sound, Awesome Experience. Stop by there, you WON'T REGRET IT. Just Bring Your Check book, if you do stop by..... :hyper::bassist:

Here their Website. Has their adress :
    http://www.normandyguitars.com/

3. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Mike Lull's shop is well worth the visit. he usually has several basses and amps to play them thru. Mike and his office manager Paul are really great, very friendly - enjoy your trip!

4. David Grunigen

David Grunigen

Check out David King bass guitars, in Portland, interesting builds!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Trabeen

Trabeen Extra gluten, please. Supporting Member

It's more of a guitar store but Apple Music in Portland has always been a place I can burn some serious time in.

7. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Hey thanx guys.. Looking forward to this trip, it's one part of the country I am not yet familiar with...

8. Immigrant

Immigrant

As already stated, in Portland, Dave King makes nice stuff but has no showroom. I think. Apple Music Row has THE best Ric selection in the state, maybe the whole Northwest, and a lot of cool stuff.

If you end up near Apple Music Row, you must go to the home of the bacon maple bar, VooDoo Donut. You'll hate yourself later if you pass.

9. preside

preside

Nothing to add other than VooDoo Donut is the BOMB ! Get there early or you'll hit a line.

10. punisher911

punisher911

Don't forget Jimi Hendrix grave, Bruce and Brandon Lee's graves all in Seattle area. Then stop down in Aberdeen to see the bridge/memorial for Kurt Cobain where he lived.

11. LOCOPELAND

LOCOPELAND

Starving Musician! There's a few stores around the bay area. Check them out! They have some awesome deals.

12. Rev J

Rev J

+1 on Starving Musician. I've also heard that Subway Guitars (aka Fat Dog's) in Berkeley is pretty cool. Les Claypools Hofner styled Violin Bass came from there. What Fat Dog does is buys up abandoned guitar plants then takes the parts and puts together instruments that kind of have a modern retro thing about them.

Stay Brown,
    Rev J

13. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    Don't forget you're just in time for Seattle's cold, gray, rainy season - it only lasts 7-8 months. ;)

14. Willicious

Willicious

You're in for a beautiful drive—especially if you were to hit the redwoods in NorCal on your journey to SF.
    In addition to prepping for your bass stops, I'd suggest tossing some tire chains in your trunk. :D

15. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

+1 on Mike Lull. Just don't expect a huge store. It's a small place that does a lot of set-up work (I personally think Mike's the best) and has some of his basses which are incredible but pricey. You get what you pay for with him, his work is top notch. He has a few top of the line amps to play through and great customer service.

Also I hope you like the rain, fall's here. We'll get to see the sun here again next July.:D

16. thebandcircle

thebandcircle

Guitar Showcase...Santa Clara California= Cool vintage gear: Occasional used deals:
    Mackenzie River Music...Eugene Oregon= Great amplifier selection: Coolest used basses:
    Gelb Music...Don't forget the consignment building around the corner!
    Mesa Boogie...Petaluma California= Ask about factory tour:
    Zon Guitars...Redwood City California.
    Jule Amps...Santa Cruz California= Home of the Monique bass preamplifier. (Cool guy btw!):smug:

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    AFM 72-147 union card-carrying liberal academic musician
    Don't miss Gelb Music in Redwood City, just south of San Francisco. One of the best selections of high end basses anywhere, plus lots of Fender stock. Ask for Ed.

Also, Bananas at Large in San Rafael, just North across the Golden Gate bridge.

18. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Disclosures:
    AFM International Representative
    Guitar Showcase is actually in San Jose. They have an incredible vintage collection with some for sale.

Wally

19. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I've always found Gelb to be kind of aloof or something. Not a very friendly store.
    Starving Musician and Subway guitars in Berkeley are much more friendly. Though you will NOT find a mint condition ANYTHING in Subway, you will find some pretty odd ducks.
    I think Rocker guitars is still existing, and if Real guitars is still over there off S Van Ness and Mission it might be worth a stop.
    Mission Jewelry and Loan has some interesting pawn shop scores sometimes.
    If you make it up to Sonoma county, there is a great store in Petaluma called Tall Toad.

20. dhsierra1

dhsierra1

+1, also see if Mesa gives tours, they're in town and right by the great Lagunitas Brewery, worth wetting your whistle :bassist:

21. Calaverasgrande

Calaverasgrande

I'm sorry, Bananas at Large is awful. They simply do not carry anything but gear for teenagers. I used to visit there regularly in the 80's and 90's but they have really declined.

It used to crack me up how they would "announce" that Huey Lewis was holding for a sales rep, or Stevie Wonder. So fake, but funny!