Travelling w/ Bass Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Robsammar, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Robsammar

Robsammar

Hey guys! Longtime lurker, first time poster. I haven't seen a DIY forum so I figured this would be a good place to ask for advice.

Here's the deal, I am a student with a tight budget. I have recently invested a (relative) ton of money into recording gear and thus am looking to stave off further investment. I own a bass cabinet at home in the Caribbean but spend most of my time in Canada where I study.

I would like to bring this bass cabinet over to Canada (I already own a head there) and am brainstorming possible ways to do this short of shipping it due to prohibitive costs.

What I am asking you guys is this: Is the idea of disassembling (cutting into flat boards) my Hartke A100 cabinet (the head has already been removed) and reassembling it in Canada using L-brackets completely insane?

The reason that I want to do this is that it will allow me to lie the boards flat into my luggage and save me a significant amount of money in shipping or buying a replacement cabinet.

Sorry about the long post, just figured an insane idea like this requires some background.

TL/DR: OP wants to know if the idea of cutting a bass cabinet into flat boards and reassembling it with L-brackets is a stupid idea.
  2. Slade N

Slade N Previously sizzle Supporting Member

yes, insane idea...save up and buy a cab there
  3. lexington125

lexington125

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Holy crap, dude! No, don't even think about doing that! Ship it if you have to, but don't slice and dice it.
  5. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Beyond the other obvious hassles, how are you going to get an airtight seal with L-brackets?

I'd sell the Hartke where it sits and buy something local to your school, personally.
  6. DonaldR

DonaldR

I guess it will not work at all!!! Just check for a used cab in kijiji.ca.
  7. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

This is insane. What logic are they teaching in colleges today?

Buy used in Canada. Sell when you're done for no loss or a profit.
  8. Robsammar

Robsammar

Thanks for the responses guys. I was pretty sure this was a silly idea but still wanted to run it by yall in case there was even an outside chance it would be feasible.

From what I gather the most viable option I have is "sell here and buy in Canada." Figures. I suppose I'm going to have to wait to save up for the bass cab. On the bright side, the studio monitors and microphones that soaked up all of my expendable funds are fun too!

Thanks for the input guys.
  9. David Jayne

David Jayne

No, that's not a very good idea. Google 'collapsible speaker cabinet' or similar to get a feel. Not gonna happen. Sell - buy time.