Traynor better sounding than Markbass/Bergantino?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by scyzoryk, Feb 3, 2014.

1. scyzoryk

scyzoryk Supporting Member

I have to admit that I'm a bit of a amp newbie, but for a gig I practiced with a 1x15" Traynor combo amp and it sounded fantastic. A week later for that gig I brought my own setup, two Bergantino cabs (HT112) with a LittleMark Tube 800 amp.

The Traynor simply sounded way better. More punchier, better sounding with the drums, etc. My rig instead sounded "loud" out on the stage but I couldn't hear myself play, and it just didn't sound as clear or punchy.

What am I doing wrong? Shouldn't a Markbass/Bergantino rig absolutely smoke the Traynor combo amp? It was a little embarrassing bringing my setup and not using it after trying it out. I'm playing with a Roadworn P bass btw.

Thoughts? :help: Should I have twiddled with all the knobs forever until I'd be convinced it sounded better than the Traynor? It was mostly flat with a tiny bit of bass and low mid boost.
  2. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Which Traynor combo?

Personally I'm not a fan of the MarkBass sound, particularly anything made with the 800 watt power amp. Very thin sounding. Also the HT112's do not have a lot going on in the low frequencies, so the 15" combo probably did a better job of filling the room. So that amp and the HT112 are probably not a good combination.
  3. scyzoryk

4. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Hard to believe an 800 watt amp can be described as thin sounding. Maybe the cabs aren't up to task-haven't heard these.

I am a fan of the Little Mark amps. My Jeff Berlin Combo and now that I've added the NY151 is a killer rig . Works well with 15s.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

What was the EQ like on the Traynor? Was it similar? Maybe it turns out you just really like mid scooped tone or something.

You know it is not a crime to prefer the Traynor. I find Traynor gear similar to Ampeg in the sense that it adds it's own colour to your bass sound, whereas MarkBass stuff is a little more transparent in my experience.
  7. scyzoryk

Both amps were "flat" with a touch of bass and low mids. I'm also wondering if the Traynor was inherently voiced a certain way...

8. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Yes, it is, and you found out how. So since you like it, and what's not to like about thick chocolaty low end,
    on your own amp why not drop the highs (a lot), raise the bass (a lot) and the mids a bit? Then boost the gain.

You may need to sweep the mids a bit if they are semi-parametric, but don't be afraid to leave the land of "baked in." :p
  9. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

You will find that small combos often work better because they are smaller and therefore have a tighter low end or less of it. That focuses you lowmids and allows you to punch through better. This works well until you need alot of volume, then your sound will be fine on stage but thin out front. The trick is to get that focus out of your big rig. I have been running a sansamp VT rackmount and thats exactly what it does for me.
  10. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

There have been several comments on TB about the 800 watt MarkBass heads not sounding good compared to their other models.
  11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

Others have had interesting comments... I'll throw in a few ¢:

• All rigs are colored to a certain extent, and you like what you like, regardless of price/reputation. Some players try high end gear but decide they prefer low/mid range stuff.
    • I don't believe in finding one amp rig that sounds best in every situation: see following comments
    • All parts of the signal path make a difference. You might prefer your MarkBass/Berg rig with another bass, but for whatever reason(s) you prefer the Traynor with your Fender RW
    • Ambient acoustics of the particular room can favor one rig over another. Same with volume.
    • Don't rule out "grass is greener" syndrome: a new tone can be more exciting than your usual tone, even if it isn't "better". Back in the day I got rid of some great gear precisely because of this :rollno:

FWIW: I have a MarkBass SD800 that I got on closeout/trade-in from GC. I use it as a backup for my rack rig, or as a lightweight rehearsal head. Sometimes it sounds meh (too clean), but I gigged it once at volume with my Bergantino NV610 and thought it sounded great... probably because of the cab... maybe also because of room acoustics. Just goes to show that "YMMV" applies in many many ways.
  12. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It is all about the mix and match, and also about your tone goals. Every rig and cab/amp combination sounds different, no matter what you do with EQ. Only you can decide if 'different' means 'better' or it means 'worse'.

I'm a huge fan of Bergantino, and a fan of Markbass, but an 800 series Markbass and the widely voiced Berg HD112 would be among my least favorite rigs.
  13. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

How can you honestly compare those 2 set ups Sheesh....Compare your Traynor Combo to a Mark CMD151 Mini or the CMD 151 Jeff Berlin now thats a fair comparison.I think what you meant to say is WOW for the music i play i much prefer the sound of a single 15 over 2x12,s.
  14. dincz

dincz

You used them in two different locations? That could account for it.
  15. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I am not going to start bashing Markbass because I think hey are great amps. However, I think that Markbass is one of those amp/cabs company that you either really like or really don't like. (Same goes with amps like tecamp, phil jones IMHO)

Before settling on Bergantino CN-112s I tried a bunch of cabs and really tried to like Markbass, but it just was not for me. Then again, I was at a store where a guy was trying his small Markbass Head, the 500 watt one, on a pair of Berg HD112s, playing on his fretless 6 string F-Bass and he was TOTALLY killing it.

My guess is that you just don't like the head. If you really like the Traynor sound, honestly, I'd try a Traynor head. For the price of that MB head, you could get a YBA-200-2 or a DynaBass800.
  16. whatever4

whatever4

I have an old 80-watt Traynor Bloc80B with a 15" speaker. I thought I would trade up to an Ampeg BA100 or an Ampeg Rocket 100. I took my Traynor to the music store to do a side by side comparison. The Ampegs, which were twice as heavy as the Traynor, were distorting when my Traynor had power to spare. Ended up going home with my original amp, and I have been using it on most of my gigs for the last 30 years because it's loud, reliable, and easy to move.
  17. electracoyote

electracoyote

Adding bass and low mids to my Markbass heads never seems to help, it usually muddies things a bit. And I play Precisions quite a bit.

Back off and flatten those knobs on the MB and try again.

Also, it could be the cabs, there's no way for us to know how your cabs/speakers compare.

Yes. A good comparison requires all other factors being the same.
  18. scyzoryk

I hate playing the amp switching game, but I think it's time to switch up the Markbass head for something better suited for the bergantinos. I've never really been happy with the slap tone on that rig even with a Sadowsky 5 Jazz.. really seems to lack some balls and authority.
  19. dazmond

dazmond

I've used a couple of different Traynor cabs and I prefer them to most other cabs I've used. If fearful/fearless didn't exist, I would have stuck with Traynor all the way. I also am using the DB800H head, which is awesome.
  20. onosson

onosson

I love my LMT800 and strongly dislike most Traynor heads.

HOWEVER - you are not me. Feel free to like what sounds good TO YOU.

That is all.