Traynor Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JeroB666, Dec 22, 2012.

1. JeroB666

JeroB666

Hey guys, lately I noticed that every time I boosted the bass and played an F, there was a buzz coming from the bass cabinet (Traynor 4x10 NEO and Traynor 800H), I first thought it was the bass or the cable, so i checked those, and nothing.

Then I saw there was an HF knob on the back of the cabinet, it was set to 5. I changed it to 4 and the buzz disappeared.

Was could have been the cause of this buzz? Maybe the cabinet can't handle that much boost?

Thanks
  2. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Sounds like the cabinet's got a HF tweeter, and the tweeter is either damaged or maybe a little loose.
  3. JeroB666

JeroB666

If it was damaged, wouldn't it buzz in every frequency?
  4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Not necessarily. If everything was put together properly from good components, nothing should buzz. Once something starts coming loose, whether or not it rattles is going to be some function of power input and frequency. Reducing the power going to the tweeter first and foremost makes the tweeter move less, internally and externally, which is why I threw out that hypothesis. It could also be something more complex, like something loose elsewhere having a resonant frequency up in the tweeter range.
  5. CPplaysBASS

CPplaysBASS Gold Supporting Member

I have a similar setup with "older Traynor / Yorkville" XC410 and XS800H. Exact same issue, but it happened whenever I played a C note. It was just one of the speakers that the buzz was coming from. I thought maybe I was losing it or I'd have to avoid songs with "C".

At first the tech I brought it to thought I had a small crack in the cabinet. Now forgive me for forgetting the exact details, as I still don't quite "get it" ... but I was told that condensation had somwhow built up on the speaker connector. How that caused a vibration only when I played I have no idea, but the ONLY thing the tech did was spray the connector with WD40 ... this was two years ago ... perfect since. Hopefully someone else reading this can actually explain it ... cheapest repair I ever had done though, that's for sure (I had already told the guy to replace the speaker when I first brought it in ... thankfully he was honest).

With the 410 (8 Ohms), the 800H is running at only 600 Watts, so the cab should be able to handle whatever you're throwing at it I think.
  6. JeroB666

JeroB666

Thanks for the responses guys. Ya so far it went away, it's still under the 2 year warranty so if it starts to bother me a lot I think I will just send it in for repairs!