1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traynor Mark II Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TDC222, Jan 11, 2013.

1. TDC222

TDC222

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

For more gain. If there's no reverb.

3. TDC222

TDC222

Thanks for info.

Cheers,
    Terry

4. TDC222

TDC222

One thing. Will this take away from the life of the tubes?

Cheers,
    Terry

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Anytime you play an amp loud you are stripping more Thorium of the cathode. I wouldn't worry about it.

7. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Because it sounds awesome. I have had both the YBA-1 and the YBA-1A (Mark II) and they differ in this respect. There is practically no interaction between the channels on the YBA-1, and you have to jumper them with a cable if you want to get that extra gain stage. The YBA-1A or Mark II actually has a pretty notable internal bridging of some sort. In other words, if you are plugged into only one of the channels, and crank up the volume on the other channel, without a patch cord between channels, you will experience a significant boost in volume and overdrive. It's pretty cool.

8. TDC222

TDC222

Thanks for the info gents. I will be experimenting tomorrow.

Cheers,
    Terry

9. TDC222

TDC222

Experimenting going well. Adds a lot of sound.
    I just had this head fixed as it was given to me with a bad BIOS and Output Transformer was blown.
    I am using it with a Traynor YCS412VA cab running at Mono 4 ohm. Can I use both head outputs, Speaker/Ext, connect them to the bottom and switch the bottom to Stereo running 8 @ ohm?

Cheers,
    Terry

10. TDC222

TDC222

I am guesing this can't be done or is not a good idea? Anyone with a suggestion?

Cheers,
    Terry

11. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

IF the cabinet's speakers are definitely split into 2 separate pairs, you should be safe doing this. If they are somehow connected, bad things will happen.

12. TDC222

TDC222

13. Alex1984

Alex1984

I've seen people do it just like on old SVTs and B15Ns, but my tech recommends against this as it has more potential to do harm than good.

14. TDC222

TDC222

Thanks. I just wanted to see if i could get a different sound,but thought i would ask before trying. Don't want to smell electrical if you know what i mean.
    Thanks to everyone for the help.

Cheers,
    Terry

15. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Linking channels one and two should make no difference in the electrical operation of the amplifier. There is the possibility of leakage through the power supply on some amps and thus instability. Most times you'll have no problems whatsoever and no harm to the amp itself.