Traynor Super Twin 15 Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by cyco739z, Feb 6, 2014.

1. cyco739z

cyco739z Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    hey guys, I was hoping that somebody could help me out.
    here's the deal, I have a 1970 Traynor super twin 15. It is a very solid built cabinet. recently upgraded the speakers the original Yorkville/Traynor Marslands to JBL E140's. The
    problem is the cabinet is not ported but sealed. I put in the heavier JBL's, and have some very ugly sounding air leaks from the back panel. I'm afraid if I seal the back panel, that I could damage the much heavier speakers. should I seal it? Or do I have to port it?
    thank you for your help!

2. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I would think that you are overpowering the ability of that cab, given the new drivers. If I recall correctly, (I have that cab in the basement!) there is not very much internal bracing in that cab. Those JBLs are probably stressing the cabs based on weight and performance.
    There is a thread on here somewhere where on of the members here filled one of the speaker holes and ran the cab with just the one 15 speaker. He claimed good results.
    Otherwise, I would defer to folks who know about speaker and cab parameters who could help you out.
    Fishheadjoe

3. cyco739z

cyco739z Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Boston Ma.
    Just an update; I sealed the cab everywhere where there was a seam and also the back panel. I now have a sweet Super Twin 15
    Thanks for all the suggestions! cab. Sounds beautiful.