1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traynor YB200 with a burning smell

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by superleobassman, Mar 2, 2014.

1. superleobassman

superleobassman

I just bought this head last week and it works great, great sound for the money. I'm running it through an Orange sp410 cab. However, I played 3 gigs this weekend and in all three gigs the amp got a burning smell. It never stop working, the sound was always good, but the smell was there, specially at the first gig. I read a post about the amp having a little bit dust inside, which seems to be the case because the smell wasn't as strong last night. Should I take it to a tech or should I keep playing it?
    Thanks.
    Leo

2. Rich McCoy

Rich McCoy

Whenever I go to my friends to jam I go home and throw the bass in the gig bag into the closet.
    The next day my closet has a burning smell.
    What's sad is I was only over there for about three hours.
    He smokes in his house.
    Maybe the smell you are smelling is from the amp being in a smokers house.
    Maybe...maybe not.

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

At the end of the day, it's impossible for anyone to diagnose this condition with 100% certainty on this forum without actually seeing the amp. That said, if it's a brand new head and running fine it's more likely than not that this is just a new amp smell. But, if you've got a friendly local tech who could give it a quick once over... that would probably be a smart thing to consider.