1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

traynor yba-1

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Feb 4, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Hey guys,
    I recentley saw a used traynor yba-1 head pop up for $325. from what i understand, i could use this as both a bass and guitar head (correct me if i'm wrong).

Now i had a look at the Traynor website and the heads don't look alike.
    Here's the website
    http://traynoramps.com/guitar/50th_anniversary_yba/product/yba-1/
    and here's the ad.
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...-great-for-guitar-70s-tone-W0QQAdIdZ453875472

is this the real deal or a scam? and if it is a real deal, is the price worth it?

Thanks.

EDIT: I ALSO SAW AN AMPEG B25B FOR 300CAD. HOWEVER, IVE READ THAT THAT HEAD REQUIERS A 16 OHM CAB. COULD I USE AN 8 OHM CAB IN ANY WAY? Which of the two heads would be better? No gigs.
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

disclaimer:i am not an authority on traynor amps.....

that said, i think the traynor for sale is just an older model. as for the differences between the two, i am uncertain.
  3. thumbknuckle

thumbknuckle

The one in the ad is one of the later ones, I think the cosmetics changed in '74. I don't know what, if any, changes were made in the actual circuit.

Old Traynor's are great.
  4. Edword

Edword

5. Amigo

Amigo

I'm primarily a guitar player, I came to this site for a question on a bass cab. But I know my stuff, I have 2 of these heads.

You will not find a better amp for this price. Perhaps not the best bass amp due to the low wattage, but this thing absolutely destroys as a guitar amp. It's pretty well the exact same circuit as an original marshal Plexi and a 59' Fender Bassman, but with giant Hammond transistors. Easily modded into either of those, however I prefer it stock.

Incredibly reliable and ridiculously loud for a rating of 45 watts.

This is a later model, I don't believe the circuit was changed but I'm not %100, regardless you will not find a better guitar amp, especially at this price. BUY for the love of God buy, these are only going up in value, you will not be disappointing.
  6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If you think these amps will give a lot of clean headroom you would be incorrect. They can get pretty loud but it'll be distorting very early.
  7. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

in reply to your edit, we don't know what would be best for you without a little more info. what situations are you planning on using these for? gigging with 2 guitarist using marshall stacks on 11? recording, practice? what sound are you going for?
  8. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Thanks for the replies.
    In response to mattbass, it would mainly be for practicing on my own with the ocassional jam with others (usually 1 or 2 guitars, not very loud and sometimes vocals). In regards to the traynor vs ampeg, im a little torn because the traynor is a lower wattage but i'm confused about the cab situation for the ampeg head.
  9. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i'm not familiar with that ampeg head. i know that you won't be able to be both clean and loud with the traynor. i assume the same for the ampeg, but that may not be a problem for you.

what's the confusion with the cab situation? i'm sorry if i missed something there...i'm easily distracted!
  10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

duh.....ok, i see. i'm a dork.

as i am unfamiliar with those heads, all i can say is read up in the "sticky's" on ohms. it is very informative.
  11. Zentner

Zentner Supporting Member

This is one of the later model YBA1's.

The reissue/tribute amp on the traynor website is a homage to the earlier amps than the one pictured in the ad. The most sought after version of the YBA-1 was the first version with script logo and tube rectifier, they then changed to a solid state rectifier, and changed asthetics and circuits 10 times, but the general rule for these amps is 'the older the better'.

$325 is a fair price, but not extrordinary IMO. I've seen early 70's YBA-1's (silver grill, black bumpers along the left and right sides) for around $300-$400, so I would value the amp in question around the $200-$250 mark, assuming everything works, doesn't need caps or tubes, etc.
  12. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i knew a traynor enthusiasts would get here eventually!
  13. Zentner

Edited for clarification.
  14. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

wow. i wasn't going to say that! i was thinking it, but still.......

i am a little jealous, we don't see many traynors in texas! a few, but not many.
  15. Zentner

They're fantastic amps, and much less expensive than some of the other alternatives from the era (Plexi's, AC30's, Hiwatts, Blackface Fenders, etc.) though the prices on the script logo'd YBA-1's have recently been flirting with the $1000 mark. Regardless, these are some of the best amps for the $$ you can get, especially for guitar.
  16. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

yeah, i've heard they're a great value. hopefully i'll get to grab one some day soon!
  17. BAce

BAce

For bass use you'd be better off trying to find a YBA1A. Note the second "A".
    Twice as much power, weighs 457.8lbs (well actually 54lbs) but it sure is heavy.
    Had one as my first gigging amp. As reliable as a brick, and easy to fix if it ever broke (which it didn't) Mine was a '74, the one shown on London kijiji is later cosmetics. Quite honestly, I found the tone a little hard and brittle though. Crazy loud though, always cut through the mix. These days I prefer to sit "in" the mix....
  18. bmc

bmc

Being able to identify Traynor, Yorkville and Granet amps are requirements to being a Canadian bass player.

FACT
  19. Alard

Alard

That is indeed one of the later YBA1 amps.
    I have one of these with the same outward appearance.
    It's a cheapened version of the original.

As far as I can remember
    As a bass amp:
    1. The transformers are not as good as the older models. Actually, I don't believe they are Hammonds, as, at least in the head I have, they are unpainted and apparently undipped, and so are noisy, as in, humming laminations.
    Also, there is no separate transformer winding for tube bias.
    To make a good adjustable bias, you have to add a separate transformer.
    2. EL34 output tubes, just my opinion, but, meh for bass.
    The input circuit topology is not particularly good for bass either.

As a guitar amp:
    1. EL34 output tubes, these rock for guitar.
    2. The input circuit topology is not particularly good for guitar, though.

What I did:
    Modified input circuitry to Plexi topology/values, including changing potentiometers as necessary. Add extra bias transformer/pot circuit for adjustable bias. Add 3-prong AC line cord. Can't remember what else because I'm at work.

What happened:
    Next rehearsal I plugged my Strat into it and a single EVM12L cabinet. (I usually use a YBA1 modified to Fender specs.)
    After first tune - Drummer: "What are you playing through Now? That thing kills!" Rest of guys: "I thought something was different, sounds great!."

To sum up:
    Bass, No.
    Guitar, Yes if modded.

Just my experience - opinion.
  20. Amigo

Amigo

As a response ^^^ Mine are older (not the oldest, but second generation early 70's) they sound awesome stock.

Like I said they sound killer. The same amp new would cost you well over a grand. Amazing value and tone. Think Hiwatt meets fender. I do agree though that they are not the best bass amps around, I'd only use it for guitar.