Traynor YBA-2 Bassmate 2x El84

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jerryjg, Apr 13, 2014.

1. jerryjg

jerryjg

Well I have this nice restored little early 70's tube 'Bassmate' model Traynor Yba-2 . I put a heavy Duty EV Force 15 All purpose
    musical Instrument speaker (200 Watts or thereabouts).

I bought it as a guitar amp - small, for practice. It sounds
    good, but I really don't need it as I have a different amp for that now.

How is this amp for Bass? Like, can it do 'Coffee Shop' acoustic sets with , like, a Fender BASS?

Obviously I'm not looking to rock arenas with Death Metal .

What is the extent of this little amps capabilities?

Are these amps good Bass practice amp?

Am trying to find a reason top keep it( besides that the market is pretty tanked right now).

2. jerryjg

jerryjg

one bump before this goes off the main page.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

Well I tried a little research and found schematics/info that were dual octal base tubes. Didn't see the EL84/6BQ5 9 pin. If it indeed is EL84 expect about 17 watts (bedroom practice amp with bass guitar). If it is EL34 octals 75 to 95 watts and would be enough for small to medium jams with enough speaker area.

4. jerryjg

jerryjg

Mine is 2x El84 combo. Should be right at around 17 watts, as you said. It does have some Big Iron for its size though. Pretty old Hammond Transformers.
    It does sound very good with bass..I just tried it..in fact, sounds better with Bass than Guitar IMO. It does have one very stout EV Force 15 speaker, which is fairly loud and efficient and the cabinet is very solid ( solid wood).
    I wonder if something like this could keep up with an acoustic set - Acoustic guitar & vocal ( through small PA), and small low volume percussion player?.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MisterEd

MisterEd Supporting Member

Do not expect to much from a tiny combo amp, feeling very good today!, so, I'll give you a good advise: remove the speaker (it's a good one) and send her to me, I will dispose her properly:). Cheers... Ed

7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

If the cabinet is open backed you will damage the EV driver. Closed back you could be OK but the amp will not get very loud before breakup.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber

Disclosures:
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    One of these was my first bass amp! It couldn't go very loud without breaking up, certainly not drummer level. It's been used for jazz guitar ever since I sold it!

9. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    My buddy has one which I've borrowed. Marginal volume + tone for bass. Then I nabbed a head only and gigged it with my Bag End S15's with a hot pbass. It kicked ass, nothing like the combo. It was at it's max but it held up with a rock drummer outdoors.