1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traynor YBA-200 impedance Q?????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rodl2005, Sep 8, 2009.

1. rodl2005

rodl2005

Hi guys I just grabbed a good deal on this baby
    YBA-200 - she's in great nic. Sounds sweet as.. especially thru a 15" or mutiples thereof. :p

[​IMG]

On the rear it has an IMPEDANCE SELECT switch with "8ohms" & "4 ohms" & 2 spkr out jacks... In the manual it states (I don't have it here with me-but...) something like- Use the 4 ohm select if load is 2 ohms or 4 ohms?!?!??

Does anyone know IF it IS safe to run this head at 2 ohms??

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

This amp and its successor the YBA-200-2, are known to safely operate down to two Ω but the amp's power output will drop a bit.

IMO no amp should be run below its minimum speaker impedance needs.

You may wish to contact Traynor for confirmation of the YBA-200's load requirements.

While you're at it you may wish to inquire about upgrading your YBA-200 to the YBA-200-2 spec.

3. rodl2005

rodl2005

Hi MIJ-VI & thanx for the reply. I agree re the min. impedance rating, Just wondering since it's IN the Traynor YBA-200 manual????
    What ARE the YBA-200-2 Specs?? Do U know HOW they differ?? Will email them as U suggest tho - thanx!!

Sounds darn good- this amp!!!

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

Hi rodl2005.

As I understand it (from reading TB threads back when I was considering getting a YBA-200-2) the YBA-200 has an auto-biasing circuit which was frying when some owners tried swapping power tubes from the stock 6550's to KT88's.

The YBA-200-2 has a fixed bias (a qualified tech must install new power tubes and set the amp's bias) and KT88's are now stock. Otherwise, I believe that both amps have the same specs.

As well both amps are known to distort rather easily. This is intentional. Traynor designed them for rock 'n' roll. :)

However, a cleaner sound can be had by swapping V1 from the stock 12AX7 to a 12AT7 (whose lower plate voltage translates to lower gain = more clean headroom in the initial stage of the YBA-200/200-2's pre-amp.

If I scored a YBA200 I'd definitely contact Traynor before doing any power tube rolling.

There's a large thread from '05 on the YBA200 but at the moment I can't find it.

Here's some smaller/more recent ones:

Traynor YBA200-2

Best KT88 / 6550 for most low-end.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

7. maevinj

maevinj

8. Eilif

Eilif

That's some good info. However, the board fry was not just a product of the switch from 6550's to kt88's, the amp was originally designed for kt88's.

The board fry is just a product of a supernovaing tube and the fixed bias. I would strongly recomend that owners of the yba200 upgrade to adjustable bias before a burnout rather than after.

As for the preamp tubes, I highly recommend the 12at7 swap as well. Traynor may have made them for Rock, but even that doesn't justify the rediculous early breakup that mine had with 12ax7's .

Congrats on the YBA200, and yes, you can run it at 2 ohms

9. rodl2005

rodl2005

Thanks 4 the replies guys! I emailed TRAYNOR yesterday-as yet No reply. Will let U know how I go. It says in my manual that I should get a tech to bias the amp when changing power tubes ( as I would do anyway )

Quote"Note: When changing output tubes, a qualified technician should adjust the amplifier’s bias; readjusted for 40ma per tube (80 mV at the test points)." - from the Traynor YBA-200-2 manual.
    now I'm wondering whether mine is a YBA200-2 or the orig YBA200???

10. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

11. rodl2005

rodl2005

No- only tried the international one so far- WILL DO - thanx!!

12. rodl2005

rodl2005

Got a reply from Traynor- stating yes it IS the YBA200. That they "STAY OUT OF THE MODIFYING arena" :-/ & that I should be fine swapping out the mismatch of pwr tubes to a set of KT88's- JJ KT88's is the set I was considering & they actually reccomended them also.
    Thoughts.????? I DID read all the thrreads re this matter... & the JJ seems like they'll suit me fine.
    Anyone got views on this?? Otherwise I'll let U know how she goes after this w/ends gigs & after I add the matched set of power tubes.

Rod

13. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

Having matched power tubes seems like a good idea for any valve amp.

14. rodl2005

rodl2005

Why Yes, yes it does doesn't it?? The guy I bought it off didn't know they WERE mis matched- all were KT88's but were a few JJ's & unmarked... all in there- Are I should say- they're all STILL in there! Amazingly- amp has been working like this for at least a year-Dunno how many gigs he did with it- not many I think. But it SOUNDS sweet as!!!

15. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

Say Rod... Just how does one obtain a Traynor amp in Tasmania?

16. rodl2005

rodl2005

Ahh Now THATS a good question. One has to either be VERY lucky or as I did got it off a Ebay transaction,- but seller was known. ;)

17. rodl2005

rodl2005

DAmn- these are NICE amps!! I used it at 2 gigs over the w/end. 1st gig-1st set- couldn't get a good sound at ALL!! Was struggling- could only hear the clicky sound of my strings, NO punch, nothin'.... 2/3 way thru 1st set- Ah HAAA!!!!! I'd accidentally pressed in the SCOOP switch! problem solved- back came the punch &..well everything. Maybe that scoop button should be called "suck"- as it sucks out all yr sound!! After that all was sweet! Great amp- just right size for my needs! More to come....

18. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned

Another happy bass player! :)

IMO, 'scoop' controls should be given a slap... :D

19. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1.. a slap, & even then all you'd hear would be the ..well Nothin' much!

20. rodl2005

rodl2005

Damn these are nice "li'l" tube amps!! Had a private corporate gig last nite, & use the YBA200 into my NV215... whoo hoo. dialled in superb tone- virtually same knob pos from the end of the last gig-IIRC...
    treb -9 oclock,
    mid -1 oclock,
    range - 12 oclock,
    bass- 2 oclock,
    resonance-full off- or 5 oclock,
    all other buttons etc off!!
    Gain about 12 oclock.
    & Master on about 1 oclock.
    Lovely full rich tube amp sound. As many have said - a real 'mini-SVT' lovely to be able to bring in the drive if needed w/ gain. Mine has the 12AX7 still in the pre- MAY change it to the AT7 as many suggest. To save me a searchin' anyone know WHICH tube it is that needs the swap?? There's 2 - 12AX7's & one 12AU7- which is the splitter tube IIRC.

21. disssa

disssa

@rodl2005
    You should read this. The Splitter Tube is the tube on v3.