1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please make yourself at home! I've deleted the previous "migration" threads, please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Traynor YBA-200 impedance Q?????

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by rodl2005, Sep 8, 2009.

1. rodl2005

rodl2005

Hi guys I just grabbed a good deal on this baby
    YBA-200 - she's in great nic. Sounds sweet as.. especially thru a 15" or mutiples thereof. :p

[​IMG]

On the rear it has an IMPEDANCE SELECT switch with "8ohms" & "4 ohms" & 2 spkr out jacks... In the manual it states (I don't have it here with me-but...) something like- Use the 4 ohm select if load is 2 ohms or 4 ohms?!?!??

Does anyone know IF it IS safe to run this head at 2 ohms??
  2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

This amp and its successor the YBA-200-2, are known to safely operate down to two Ω but the amp's power output will drop a bit.

IMO no amp should be run below its minimum speaker impedance needs.

You may wish to contact Traynor for confirmation of the YBA-200's load requirements.

While you're at it you may wish to inquire about upgrading your YBA-200 to the YBA-200-2 spec.
  3. rodl2005

rodl2005

Hi MIJ-VI & thanx for the reply. I agree re the min. impedance rating, Just wondering since it's IN the Traynor YBA-200 manual????
    What ARE the YBA-200-2 Specs?? Do U know HOW they differ?? Will email them as U suggest tho - thanx!!

Sounds darn good- this amp!!!
  4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

Hi rodl2005.

As I understand it (from reading TB threads back when I was considering getting a YBA-200-2) the YBA-200 has an auto-biasing circuit which was frying when some owners tried swapping power tubes from the stock 6550's to KT88's.

The YBA-200-2 has a fixed bias (a qualified tech must install new power tubes and set the amp's bias) and KT88's are now stock. Otherwise, I believe that both amps have the same specs.

As well both amps are known to distort rather easily. This is intentional. Traynor designed them for rock 'n' roll. :)

However, a cleaner sound can be had by swapping V1 from the stock 12AX7 to a 12AT7 (whose lower plate voltage translates to lower gain = more clean headroom in the initial stage of the YBA-200/200-2's pre-amp.

If I scored a YBA200 I'd definitely contact Traynor before doing any power tube rolling.

There's a large thread from '05 on the YBA200 but at the moment I can't find it.

Here's some smaller/more recent ones:

Traynor YBA200-2

Best KT88 / 6550 for most low-end.
  5. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

6. maevinj

maevinj

7. Eilif

Eilif

That's some good info. However, the board fry was not just a product of the switch from 6550's to kt88's, the amp was originally designed for kt88's.

The board fry is just a product of a supernovaing tube and the fixed bias. I would strongly recomend that owners of the yba200 upgrade to adjustable bias before a burnout rather than after.

As for the preamp tubes, I highly recommend the 12at7 swap as well. Traynor may have made them for Rock, but even that doesn't justify the rediculous early breakup that mine had with 12ax7's .

Congrats on the YBA200, and yes, you can run it at 2 ohms
  8. rodl2005

rodl2005

Thanks 4 the replies guys! I emailed TRAYNOR yesterday-as yet No reply. Will let U know how I go. It says in my manual that I should get a tech to bias the amp when changing power tubes ( as I would do anyway )

Quote"Note: When changing output tubes, a qualified technician should adjust the amplifier’s bias; readjusted for 40ma per tube (80 mV at the test points)." - from the Traynor YBA-200-2 manual.
    now I'm wondering whether mine is a YBA200-2 or the orig YBA200???
  9. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

10. rodl2005

rodl2005

No- only tried the international one so far- WILL DO - thanx!!
  11. rodl2005

rodl2005

Got a reply from Traynor- stating yes it IS the YBA200. That they "STAY OUT OF THE MODIFYING arena" :-/ & that I should be fine swapping out the mismatch of pwr tubes to a set of KT88's- JJ KT88's is the set I was considering & they actually reccomended them also.
    Thoughts.????? I DID read all the thrreads re this matter... & the JJ seems like they'll suit me fine.
    Anyone got views on this?? Otherwise I'll let U know how she goes after this w/ends gigs & after I add the matched set of power tubes.

Rod
  12. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

Having matched power tubes seems like a good idea for any valve amp.
  13. rodl2005

rodl2005

Why Yes, yes it does doesn't it?? The guy I bought it off didn't know they WERE mis matched- all were KT88's but were a few JJ's & unmarked... all in there- Are I should say- they're all STILL in there! Amazingly- amp has been working like this for at least a year-Dunno how many gigs he did with it- not many I think. But it SOUNDS sweet as!!!
  14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

Say Rod... Just how does one obtain a Traynor amp in Tasmania?
  15. rodl2005

rodl2005

Ahh Now THATS a good question. One has to either be VERY lucky or as I did got it off a Ebay transaction,- but seller was known. ;)
  16. rodl2005

rodl2005

DAmn- these are NICE amps!! I used it at 2 gigs over the w/end. 1st gig-1st set- couldn't get a good sound at ALL!! Was struggling- could only hear the clicky sound of my strings, NO punch, nothin'.... 2/3 way thru 1st set- Ah HAAA!!!!! I'd accidentally pressed in the SCOOP switch! problem solved- back came the punch &..well everything. Maybe that scoop button should be called "suck"- as it sucks out all yr sound!! After that all was sweet! Great amp- just right size for my needs! More to come....
  17. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Supporting Member

Another happy bass player! :)

IMO, 'scoop' controls should be given a slap... :D
  18. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1.. a slap, & even then all you'd hear would be the ..well Nothin' much!
  19. rodl2005

rodl2005

Damn these are nice "li'l" tube amps!! Had a private corporate gig last nite, & use the YBA200 into my NV215... whoo hoo. dialled in superb tone- virtually same knob pos from the end of the last gig-IIRC...
    treb -9 oclock,
    mid -1 oclock,
    range - 12 oclock,
    bass- 2 oclock,
    resonance-full off- or 5 oclock,
    all other buttons etc off!!
    Gain about 12 oclock.
    & Master on about 1 oclock.
    Lovely full rich tube amp sound. As many have said - a real 'mini-SVT' lovely to be able to bring in the drive if needed w/ gain. Mine has the 12AX7 still in the pre- MAY change it to the AT7 as many suggest. To save me a searchin' anyone know WHICH tube it is that needs the swap?? There's 2 - 12AX7's & one 12AU7- which is the splitter tube IIRC.
  20. disssa

disssa

@rodl2005
    You should read this. The Splitter Tube is the tube on v3.