1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Traynor YBA200 or Ashdown Little Bastard??

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by obimark, Nov 18, 2012.

1. obimark

obimark

For you TBers who have played with either of these.

Currently I play a Ag TH500 which I like, but part of me wants a tube head as well (either for practice only, or practice/small gigs with band - Light to Medium rock band)

I imagine the Ashdown LB 30 is not quite enough for small gigs, but could be wrong. How about the Traynor, I want some OD Tube goodness, but not Fuzz distortion, and I want to be able to push it at a good enough volume to do this, without blowing out my band's ears.
    Anyways any thoughts, or comments would be welcome. Also I am tryign to stay around 40 pounds, but am considering the Fender BM 100T (although it is heavy and double the cost of both of these units)

I've searched the forums and thoughts are mixed on this issue, some say YBA200 is pletny loud to gig with, some say not, (same goes for AD LB)

Thanks!!
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen

Disclosures:
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    YBA200 was really clean, Little Bastardwill dirt up, as you can crank it, but massively depends on your cabs, an gigs.
  3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

The YBA 200 is definitely loud enough for small gigs if you want an overdriven sound. It doesn't get a very loud clean tone. Maybe look into a YBA 300?
  4. astack

astack Supporting Member

Haven't played either, but I also have the TH500 and am looking for a tube amp to complement the arsenal. I'm eyeing the Ampeg V4 as a the most similar sounding to the TH. That's only based on what I've read here and a few youtube videos. Might want to add it to the list.
  5. derridiandrift

derridiandrift

Consider a used Ampeg V4BH. Affordable and will probably work for all of your gigs. No fan, so you can use it quietly for practice at home.
  6. DerekP

DerekP

I have a little bastard and for me it's loud enough for small or medium sized gigs with PA support as long as everyone is at a reasonable volume level.

I think you'll easily be able to dial in the kind of tone you're looking for but try it before you buy it if you can... I think you'll be pleasantly surprised, it sounds awesome!
  7. DerekP

DerekP

I also own a v4bh and it's a great amp as well but you'd be surprised how well the little bastard will keep up volume wise.
  8. christw

christw Always searching for the right Ric... Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    What cabinet are you using? Having an efficient cabinet will help you get more volume out of less power. If you're using something like an Ampeg HLF series cab that trades sensitivity for deep low end, the LB30 would not cut it.
  9. DerekP

DerekP

Good point, and I agree completely. I use either an ampeg 4x10HE or a new fender bassman 4x10 neo, sounds great with both..more lows with the fender obliviously though.
  10. obimark

obimark

Thanks great input! Where would I find an ampeg V4BH, they don't seem to come up on Ebay very often...
  11. rodl2005

rodl2005

The yba200 & LB30 will do clean better than the TH500, which has always got that Aggy tone & dirt in it. Tho of course it'll go louder.
    Yba200 is all tube & has the typical all tube characteristics-as does the lb30.
    Both can imo sound "tighter"than the Aggy, but bring em to the power tube breaking up point & they loosen up too.
    For me the lb30 only JUST cut live gigs, the YBA200- plenty loud enough, especially thru bigger cabs.
    The Yba300 is a beast tho. Better in all respects than the YBA200.
  12. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

The YBA200-2 is a great amp. The tone and power to weight ratio are terrific.
    I bought it to buy a SVT and I sometimes miss that little amp, even from a tone stand point of view. Highly recommended.

The Ashdown has too little power to do much with it.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  14. obimark

obimark

Great info thanks!! What I want is a light to medium overdrive/growl without blowing ears, will the YBA 200 do that if I crank it at a small gig? or is it in actual distortion territory (ie Fuzz)

Would try YBA 300 but don't want to have to jam it too loud to get light overdrive.
    How much louder is the YBA 200 than the Ashdown LB?
  15. Alex1984

Alex1984

I'd vote YBA-200.
  16. Alex1984

Alex1984

I think it's got volume, but not necessarily clean. I'd classify it as a mild OD rather than fuzz when pushed.
  17. rodl2005

rodl2005

The YBA200 will certainly do what yr after. The LB30 will be more in crunchy overdrive territory.
    Also, the YBA300 will do it too, especially into smaller cabs.
  18. M. Owen Santy

M. Owen Santy

Disclosures:
    Michael Tobias Designs Kingston Series & Traynor Amps Artist
    With the YBA200-2, trade out the 12AX7's for 12AT7's (I use ruby tubes) and is much smoother transition with great clean headroom.
  19. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

That's a big difference in gain, only 60% of the gain from a 12AX7.

Can you expand on what this swap does? I expect you would get preamp overdrive at lower preamp setting = less clean headroom!