1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traynor YBA3 Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by kjp360, Feb 11, 2014.

1. kjp360

kjp360

Hi I am new here. I am just getting back to playing bass regularly (guitar player) after not playing bass in a band setting for nearly 2 decades. This looks like a great place for my first bass question in a while.

I was hoping some of you YBA3 fans could clarify the output of my early-ish non-master volume head. I know the amp puts out about 130 watts @ 4 ohms. It seems that the outputs are wired differently in these amps than they are in most and I want to make sure I do not damage it. Someone supposedly in the know said I need to use a 4 ohm cab or run two 8 ohm cabs chained together into one of the two outputs in the back so it sees 4 ohms. Am I on the right track? What other options might I have for cabinets given the outputs on the YBA3?

Thanks for your help.

2. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

YBA-3 is a fixed 8 ohm transformer. It does, however, perform well at 4 ohms also. But that's about it. There is a speaker out, and an extension speaker out. If you're only using one speaker out, the "ext" one won't work. Stock speaker outs are wired in series, unless previously modified. So if you want to run TWO cabs using both speaker outs, they'll need to be 4 ohms each. But if you want to run two 8 ohm cabs, you can daisy chain them and plug them in to the single speaker out, and it will perform at 4 ohms.

I believe it's 130w @ 8 ohms, and around 100w @ 4 ohms. Conservatively.

Good luck. I love my YBA-3, but I play guitar through it.

3. kjp360

kjp360

Thanks for the reply @chillerthanmost!

The only thing that is bothering me is that I thought an amp always put out more wattage at a lower ohm load? It would not be the first time I misunderstood something though lol.

4. chillerthanmost

chillerthanmost

That goes for solid state amps. These YBA-3 amps are fixed at a permanent 8 ohms. So anytime you mismatch, you lose some volume/power. Perhaps around 3dB. So even though Traynor says it's safe to run at 4 ohms, and I run mine at 4 ohms so with no issues, it's still mis-matching impedance. So the power is no longer distributed as intended.

Hope that makes sense and helps you out.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I 've run my YBA3 with a 4 ohm load for hours & hours and have had no issues .... one thing you might want to check, is the 3 brown caps for the power supply, if they are bulging on the ends replace them ... heck replace them anyways ... as to the difference between the loudness of the 4 ohm & 8 ohm not much to worry about, those huge Hammond transformers can really handle the loading mismatch .....

[​IMG]
    A-yba-3 - 425 by jastacey128, on Flickr

7. kjp360

kjp360

Thanks again guys. There is nothing lightweight about anything on this head that's for sure. I have indeed had it running without issue through a bunch of different guitar cabinets @8 ohms and it still had balls to spare. Now I think I need to get a nice 15 to go with the 2x10 I have to really see what this amp sounds like for bass.

8. Edword

Edword

9. kjp360

kjp360

HOLY CRAP!! That is a sweet rig there with those three Big B cabs! I would love to match my amp with one of those.