Traynor YBA300....their Customer Service....and my frustration!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by tdbernard, Oct 29, 2012.

1. tdbernard

tdbernard

First, this is from 09/10/2012:

Ok folks, I was let down by my (month and a half old) YBA300 at a gig Saturday night (09/08/2012)....early in set #2 I lost volume...I turned to look things over....after checking connections and all for about 30 seconds it came back....this happened two more times before a snap crackle pop and then I had nothing.

Grabbed the trusty GK 700RBii out of the trailer and finished the night off with it.

Getting ready to call traynor, from what I've heard about their CS, I'll be back in business quick.

09-15-2012:

I called the merchant where my wife purchased the amp, and after talking back and forth with him all week, Traynor CS said it sounded like a preamp tube. I am waiting to see if they plan on taking care of it. I felt like since it was only six/seven weeks old I needed to call him instead of Traynor. I'll give him another day to get me fixed up, if not I will call Traynor.

In late September I received a preamp tube from Traynor, and replaced it....That did not fix the problem.

10/02/2012:

After several emails with CS....They finally agreed to have it shipped to them for repair....no charge to me.

10/22/2012:

Received it back.

10/26/2012:

Tried it out at a gig.....there was some pretty intense noise that would raise and lower only when I adjusted the volume knob. I unplugged everything and plugged everything exactly the same into my GK 700RBii (No noise and performed flawlessly).
    This is unacceptable after spending so much on a head, and how could they send it back out when it isn't in perfect working condition? I wanted so much to like this head, in fact I loved it for my first six gigs, now I can't trust this thing....It sure is something paying 1300+ for a head and not being able to to trust it....I have been without it more than I have been with it for the past few months.

Yorkville/Traynor CS wasn't as helpful as all the stories I have read on here, aside from one Mr. Keefer...I had to be extremely persistent to get them to ship it without me paying for it....I am hoping to get a replacement or my money back now.

I have never been so frustrated with a piece of music equipment in my life! This is my fourth Yorkville/Traynor bass amp/or head that I have owned in the past twelve years, and the first time I have had a problem.

So basically I am gigging with my 550 dollar GK 700RBii head, but I have almost 2K in both heads....My problem? The YBA300 is being used as a decorative piece right now!

Say a prayer to the bass gods for me!
  2. Mingo Sanders

Mingo Sanders

GK totally rocks!!!
  3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is very possible one of the tubes went noisy due to shipping vibrations or may even be loose in a socket. New production tubes are NOT of the quality of days past. Your troubles may not be Traynor or even that amp's fault, but the fault of new production valves (tubes).
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You had it for four days and didn't run it hard before you took it to a gig?
  5. Honkycat

Honkycat

I have been in the same situation as you..but with an SVT-CL...It's good that you have a backup amp....If I were you..I would flat out tell Traynor that you want a new amp..period

I am from Canada,and generally Yorkville is pretty good about issues such as yours.If they dont replace your amp,get a refund...It's never an easy feeling when you have an amp that you cannot trust.
  6. rodl2005

rodl2005

+1
    The YBA300 has paired bias/protect circuit/lights on its rear, if it is a tube, it should show.
    Any of the protection circuit lights showing?
    This should still be under a warranty fix iirc
  7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

I spoke with the senior repair technician at Yorkville this morning and specifically mentioned that you were having a problem with your YBA300. He checked into it and told me that they were made aware of the situation yesterday after you contacted them directly and that their US service staff are working to resolve the problem for you.

He too, mentioned in passing that one or more of the preamp tubes might have slipped partially out of the socket during shipping.

I'm sure Yorkville will make it right for you. The YBA300 is an awesome amp. Make sure you set the impedence switch on the back of it to the correct setting for your cabs.

TD
  8. tdbernard

tdbernard

Haha, I know that seems weird but I knew I had a dependable backup amp, and didn't want to dig all of our equipment out of the trailer four days prior to a gig to get my cab out. I am actually disabled so it is too much for me :)
    I had two hours to test out my head at the gig, plenty of time to realize it was noisy as heck.

Thornton Davis,

I appreciate you helping out with this...My real concern here is will I ever trust this amp? The dealer gave me the run around when I flat out asked for an exchange or money back, and Traynor said I had to go through the dealer for an exchange or money back. Really??? Seriously??? GRRR!!!

Honestly after owning four other Yorkville/Traynor amps/heads, I have lost my faith with the company! And this is supposed to be some of their top of the line gear???
  9. tdbernard

tdbernard

Oh wow, hold on....I just sent a message to Mr. Keefer regarding the return label Traynor sent me yesterday, here is his reply.

"Hmmm did you receive it via email or did arrive with the new amp ?"

It sounds like they sent me a new amp?? What do you guys think? My fingers are crossed!
  10. tdbernard

tdbernard

Just got confirmation, a new head is en route! Thank the Bass gods, and anyone who prayed to them for me lol.
  11. tdbernard

tdbernard

Question Thornton,
    I only play through one 8 ohm cab (GK NEO212), so I set the impedance at the higher setting on the back correct? (4ohm)

Figured since that was the highest setting it would be the right one to use.
  12. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

This is correct. Understand that the amps output will drop to approx 250 watts RMS with an 8 ohm load.

TD
  13. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

With tube amps you are best matching tap to load exactly. If you must use a load that differs from the amp it's best to go lower. That is a 4Ω load on an 8Ω tap. you can look at the tap's impedance figure as being the maximum safe load.
  14. blindrabbit

blindrabbit

I have a tough time reconciling these two comments in my head, as they seem to be saying opposite things.

To me, if you've owned 4 amps in 12 years and this is the first one that had a problem - a problem that may have been due to shipping issues and not the direct fault of the manufacturer, and also a problem that ended up being rectified with a new amp being sent out to you - then I actually think that would dramatically increase one's faith in the company.

Hearing this story certainly makes me trust and appreciate Traynor that much more, and I already did a lot to start with.
  15. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Let's hope the new amp restores all.
  16. tdbernard

tdbernard

Over the past twelve years I have owned a BM200 (bought new for $550 I believe in 1999), an XM100 (bought new for around $350 in 2008), a Bloc250B head (bought used at a pawn shop for $125 in 2009), and a BM200T (won on ebay for like $160+S&H in 2011 and still practicing with it)....I have always loved Yorkville.

So I paid less for all four of those amps together than I did for the yba300, and never had any major issues with any of them...

I took the plunge buying the yba300 and had issues almost immediately, not only with the amp, but getting something done about it...That is until a Mr. Keefer emailed me, that guy is great!

When I wrote my earlier post, I had no idea I would receive a replacement amp, so yes my faith was almost non existent at that point. Since being told a replacement was en route, my faith has been restored, and hopefully the new yba will be my go to amp until I hang up the bass.

I honestly hope it was originally a shipping issue that caused the problems, and that the new head arrives safe and sound. I am still a Yorkville/Traynor fan, I just need some proof that they still make em like they used to. ;)
  17. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

Faith is supposed to get you through the bad times! :) Since yorkville worked well for you in the past, don't let a bit of down time get you down as well!

PS. not a religious comment.
  18. tdbernard

tdbernard

That makes sense... Yorkville has been awesome up to this point.... I shouldn't be down on them for one bad one out of five... I still have faith
  19. rodl2005

rodl2005

They served me well-my YBA300 had a problem caused in transit. Traynor allowed me to use my trusted tube tech in my town & all was fixed promptly. Not had a problem since.
    Absolutely loving my YBA300. Love the way it sounds & that it weighs 53lbs & not 75+
  20. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

+1.

In Canada, Long & McQuade would likely replace it in 5 min (L&M owns Traynor/Yorkville).

Luckily I live 15 minutes from the Yorkville Sound head office.