1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Traynor YC-610

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ScottTunes, Mar 19, 2013.

1. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Anyone use one of these cabinets recently? Regularly?

Is it worth replacing/re-coning all of the speakers (replacing is actually cheaper)?

Haven't been able to sell mine... And would prefer a smaller cabinet... Even a 2x15 would be lighter for the same size...

I do like the sound of mine though (with only 5 of 6 drivers working).

2. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Bumpity for the vintage value?

3. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

4. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Thanks, Mutha!

I'm torn between selling as is, and restoring for myself...

As usual, I need the cash, and can't seem to sell any gear lately...

Have you compared your cab "stuffing" to fiberglass? I've always used the glass, and in much smaller amounts, to reduce standing waves.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

No I haven't. But there's probably a slew of people here on TB that have. Run a search. I also recommend the use of WinISD to model any speaker you think you may use. The Alpha's I choose modeled well with that cab and the results I experienced were as expected.

As a super cheap alternative, if you want to just fill it to sell it Avatar has Celestion 1020 10" speakers REALLY cheap. I bought a pair of them and put them into my Golliath II without checking WinISD an the results were not good. Mostly mid bass. I mentioned this to another TB'r who ha spoken of buying them for their cab and was told that my experience with them was because they are more designed for a sealed can...like the Traynor YC-610?

They might be just what you're look'n for. You can get 4 for $191. I'm sure if you called them they'd work two more in for you even cheaper. Look at the "Specials an Overstock" section.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

When I reconditioned my 1973 YC-810 about 3 yrs ago, I had to decide whether or not to re-purpose the original Marsland's in it or replace them with Alpha's. Because I wanted to keep the cabinet as original as possible I chose to have all eight Marsland's re-coned.

Here's a picture of them re-coned. Notice the dust covers, they give the Marsland's a more modern look.

[​IMG]

This cabinet will never be used with any other amp then its matching YBA-3 (sitting on top of it in the pic). It's output is approx. 140 watts and the eight Marsland's can handle 200 watts total so I'm happy to keep things as original as possible.

Plus this amp/cab have been retired for the past 25 years and will continue to be. But it's nice to know if I ever wanted to take it out to gig with it, it's ready too go.

TD

8. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Thanks for the Celestion suggestion. I do like the sound the OE Marsland speakers, and am leaning toward re-coning a pair of them this year. I may get to the others eventually.

I've been using an Eminence speaker designer's program for a while. Although it has the option of light, medium and heavy cabinet fill, it doesn't differentiate glass from poly fibers...

It's researching building a studio in my garage that opened my eyes (and ears) to the sound control properties of "fluffy" and compressed fiberglass... Something about "passing gas!"

9. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Nice cab, Thornton! I'll bet that one really rumbles! Did you add "stuffing?" If so, what kind? Any photos?

I used to have a Traynor 410 years ago... Even that one was too heavy to gig with, compared to the set I'd built. So I sold it (wishing of course that I hadn't).

New Eminence Alphas are less expensive than re-coning the Marslands... And, I'm sure they handle more power than the Marslands too! But, I'm leaning the same way you did, and thinking re-coning at least a pair to start...

Even as is, this YC-610 sounds pretty good!

10. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

No, I didn't stuff the cab because I want it to be as original as possible, just like the day it left the factory in downtown Toronto back in 1973 (40 years ago).

TD

11. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Hey Thornton, how does your cab sound sans stuffing?

My YC-610 (with at least one "frozen" driver) sounds fab with guitar! And, if that one driver were fixed, it'd likely sound good with bass as well. That's without stuffing of any kind.

Plus, I've "modeled" this cab at 300 watts in Eminence's design program with various amounts of stuffing, and with none. The graphs don't appear much different, although I appreciate the importance of controlling the standing wave...

Anyway, thanks for your input so far.

12. ScottTunes

ScottTunes

Has anyone tried mixing 1 or more Eminence Alphas with the OE Marsland drivers (similar to mixing Jensens with Legends)?

I'm thinking the cheapest and easiest solution for me would be installing 2 Alphas as the bottom pair, and leaving 4 Marsland drivers in (until they crap out).