Treadle filters (with benefits?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kevteop, Apr 10, 2014.

1. kevteop

kevteop

I've been mostly playing upright for a couple of years so my board has been a bit neglected. I've got an Octavius Squeezer on there which has some great filter effects but no expression socket. I've also got an M9 so I'm currently using its Q Filter for a treadle filter but the gain boost gets me down and I'd rather free up a slot on the M9 by using a dedicated filter pedal at the end of my chain.

So… I was looking at the Sonuus Wahoo but apparently that has software issues. So then I was looking at the Xerograph but IE aren't taking orders right now.

An MF-101 is cool but just too big, I don't have the space for it.

So what do I do?
  2. Explorer

Explorer

Two filters I use:

Behringer BSY-600 with the expression pedal.

The Resonance expression pedal setting on my Boss ME-50B.

The Behringer really surprised me, and everyone else in the store, when the guy working there suggested trying it with an expression pedal. It got a lot of reaction, and that's when I bought one.
  3. Pastrami

Pastrami

PLEASE do yourself a favor and just wait for Iron Ether to start taking orders again, I promise you it'll be worth it.
  4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

What software issues do you speak of Kev? Not had any trouble with mine.

If the MF-101 is too big, have you thought about the Minifooger MF Drive? It's an overdrive and LPF in one, turn the gain right down and I guess it could be similar to the MF-101: http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minifoogers/mf-drive
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kevteop

kevteop

Hi man. It was a thread on here I was reading about the Wahoo. Also I'm a bit concerned it might be too bulky to fit in my pedal train hard case. :/

I hadn't seen that Moog before. Given that the filter seems to only be in there to tweak the overdrive I'd be sceptical about it though. I doubt I'll find one to give it a try in a shop...
  7. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Doesn't really take up much more space than a Xero + Expression pedal to be fair. Mine's in the BC classified btw, I'm using a G-Lab wah nowadays as I want the pressure sensitive on/off switching!
  8. kevteop

kevteop

I was thinking more in terms of the height of the pedal, I'm not sure I'd be able to close the lid on my hard case with one of those on my board.

The software thing that bothered me was a report that the envelope doesn't re-trigger quickly enough, which it's something I know would wind me up (especially knowing that the BMS has been triggering quickly enough for decades now...)
  9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

The last software update mentioned some tweaks to the envelope so that might be solved now, not that I ever noticed an issue there in the first place.

Not sure which expression pedal you had in mind, but I just put the Wahoo side by side with a Moog EP-2 and the Moog is slightly taller!
  10. kevteop

kevteop

Oh right, well that's interesting.

One thing I was hoping the Wahoo would do is allow different settings between heel and toe rather than just Q and cutoff. I thought you might be able to adjust the mix of the filters at least.

Anyway yeah it might still be worth looking at. I'd like something with a MIDI implementation ideally but I haven't found an analogue filter with a MIDI brain. I guess there isn't a big enough market for mega-featured bass filters.
  11. bass.bert

bass.bert

I never tried them myself, but these filters would fit your description:

Guyatone Ultron (Envelope, LFOs, Tap Tempo, Exp. Pedal)
    WMD Superfatman (Envelope, LFOs, Exp. Pedal)
    Subdecay Prometheus Dlx (Envelope, LFOs, Tap Tempo, Exp. Pedal)
    EHX Enigma ("AD(SR)"-Style Envelope, Exp. Pedal)
  12. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

To add to the list:
    3leaf Wonderlove
    SolidGoldFX Funkzilla
  13. Pastrami

Pastrami

I've read that the Wonderlove is finicky about the pot value of the exp pedal its taking. With that being said I'm sure it's an awesome filter as I had a great experience with the OG groove regulator.

The funkzilla looks real sweet tho. Definitely on my list
  14. kevteop

kevteop

I had a Robot Factory Meatwad a few years ago, I do like the Meatball circuit.
  15. kevteop

kevteop

FWIW I bought Dan's Wahoo so I'll see how that works out for me. The fact that it's programmable is a big plus for me.