1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Treble potentionmeter question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by AudioDwebe, Mar 8, 2014.

1. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

I have a bass/treble stacked potentionmeter. The amount of treble seems to have diminished quite a bit. With the treble cranked all the way it is nowhere near as bright as it used to be.

I have no experience with potentionmeters going out. Can the treble fade as the knob goes out or is a potentionmeter something that either works or does not, like an on/off switch?

Thanks

Mamoru

2. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Have you tried cleaning it? You can get a cleaning spray intended for pots and electronics at Radio Shack -- spray the inside of the pot from the back side, work the pot, and see if it helps.

To answer your question, potentiometers are not something that will "go out", per se. They can get dirty or even corrode over time, but that's usually accompanied by crackling noises.

3. audioglenn

audioglenn Gold Supporting Member

If I had that problem, I would replace the potentiometer and the treble capacitor. The parts are not very expensive and it should solve the problem.

4. AudioDwebe

AudioDwebe Supporting Member

Thanks for your suggestions. I will try deoxit first.

Cheers

5. Register to disable this ad