1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tremolo + Expression Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lburton2, Dec 24, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I'd like to have a Tremolo type pedal with the ability to control the speed with an expression type pedal. I really like the Dunlop Rotovibe, but it's a bit too big for my Pedaltrain Mini. Does anyone know of a smaller footprint pedal(s) that will work for this?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

Dr. Scientist Tremolessence.

3. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Dr. Scientist Tremolessence.

4. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Strymon Flint... Little bigger, but you get a nice reverb too.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

Both look like great options but any luck on a small footprint expression pedal? Like the size of a Morley Mini Volume pedal?

7. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

i would wait for NAMM though, in case there are new pedals and you regret buying this pedal now.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Definitely the Dr Scientist Tremolessence for the cheap but awesome option.

The Strymon Flint and Mobius are totally great if you're looking to spend a little more and add some other features, as well.

I've played with all three and, as far as what you're looking for, there's not much distinction. Totally awesome and can manipulate everything with the tremolo. It's all a matter of how much you want to spend and is the tremolo is all you're looking for.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    This is the problem. There are loads of tremolos (and vibratos like the Rotovibe) that are either housed in a foot treadle or have an input jack for a foot treadle, but the hangup here is you want something smaller than a typical foot treadle. All the recommendations for Dr. Scientist, Strymon etc. are missing this part of your question.

To the best of my knowledge, no there is not a production tremolo housed in a smaller-than-average foot treadle. Maybe a custom builder could do it for you, though it would not be cheap.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I'll give another approach.

The Tremolessence itself is a small footprint. You probably won't find an expression pedal to go with it to where the combo is...however....but you COULD just keep the expression pedal off of your board. That's what I do at least. I keep my Source Audio Dual Expression pedal separate from my board and carry it in a Thule backpack with my Glock Blue Soul. Yeah, I have to connect the two ends to the TRS cables when I set my stuff up.....but really....two clicks....not that bad.

11. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

I am considering having the expression pedal off of the board, it just kills the appeal of me having a small compact board... But I guess I have to consider what's better... A neat and tidy board or the sound I want..

12. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Get a bigger board, and more pedals, Always the correct answer.

13. macnice

macnice

I happened upon this thread after looking for the same thing. After some research I found out the latest version of the copilot polypus now has an expression jack.
    I've got one on the way, now I just need an expression pedal.

14. Gadgetjunky

Gadgetjunky

Source Audio Orbital with a Hot Hand on your shoe laces. The wired Hot Hand is only $20

Just an idea

15. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Guyatone Ultrem (and a +1 on a larger board; gonna need it with an expression pedal).