1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tremolo pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MattStonewall, Feb 13, 2014.

1. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

I think I'd like to add a tremolo pedal to my bass effect set up. Are there any you guys would recommend that don't affect the low end so much?
  2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

Mooger Fooger Ring mod can be used as a trem and works better than most,
  3. millahh

millahh Supporting Member

I don't know that tremolo ever truly causes volume or low-end loss...it's a trick our brain plays on us by "averaging" the volumes of the peaks and valleys.

That said:
    Boss TR-2 - works well, uncomplicated, built like a tank, and can get to a true square wave.
    Mooer Trelicopter - Small, works well, though it can't get a true square (which was a dealbreaker for me_
    EQD Hummingbird: Awesome...has a level control to address the perceived volume loss, and has a high-speed mode that can get you into the range that sounds like a hummingbird's wings. No _quite_ a square wave, but close enough.
  4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

5. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

If you want a killer versatile tremolo that does not eat any low end try to find one of the orange guyatone flip tube tremolos. I think they are amazing and they usually come up at a reasonable price. The redwitch pentavocal tremolo is suppose to be killer but it's very expensive. The guyatones usually pop up on ebay around 120-180. I love mine. It does not eat ANY bass up and its incredibly versatile.
  6. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

I've thought about the EBS tremolo and the Sans Amp tremolo pedal as well. Any opinions?
  7. Musicman1901

8. Musicman1901

Not gonna get much better than that brother. Ends tomorrow. Still at a very reasonable price. It's honestly the most versatile bass friendly trem I have seen. The range in speed is great and you can set it to sound more natural or to have a more choppy helicopter type sound.
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
  10. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I should have mentioned that I used to own a TR-2 which was ok but I heard a volume drop which is an illusion I guess. I also had a Voodoo Labs trem that was really nice but I wanted something with expression control over the speed.
  11. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

I keep a Malekko mini TREM on my board, I really like it. No vol/tone loss, very small, super fun.

Ideally, I'd love a tremolo pedal with tap tempo and subdivision settings (like a good delay pedal would have) I think that'd be great to chain with other pedals for dubstep wobble and general percolating-synth goodness

But for about $70 on the used market and around 3 square inches of board space, it's hard to beat the Malekko!
  12. Rickenmonster

Rickenmonster Supporting Member

I like to run my TR2 thru my LS2 using the 2nd loop as a clean blend. Just sounds way better to me this way.
  13. benevan

benevan

+1 for the Guyatone Flip, high quality, good form factor, can't go wrong with that one.
  14. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

15. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

16. MightyMiloQuinn

MightyMiloQuinn Supporting Member

The SolidGoldFX Stutterbox has tap tempo, multiple speeds and waveforms. Also has a drive control to control volume. You can actually use the pedal as a clean boost.
  17. MattStonewall

MattStonewall

Dude that Stutterbox pedal looks and sounds killer!
  18. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

Next time you see one in a music store try a boss SL20 slicer. It's basically the craziest Tremelo pedal I've tried. Its a twin pedal and you can control speed with tap tempo. Does some really wierd stuff
  19. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

I use a Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter. Thing is pretty dang versatile. I don't experience any noticeable low end loss. Even if I did, there is a pretty easy mod that adds a volume knob to fix any issues. You can also mod it to do tap tempo when the pedal is not engaged.

[​IMG]
  20. fheliojr

fheliojr

the lovepedal one works very well on bass.