1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tri-Logic 2 power supply hum?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by project_c, Feb 6, 2013.

1. project_c

project_c

Got an 18v Dunlop power supply for my Tri-Logic 2 pedal recently and it's making a god-awful hum which is clearly audible even at low listening levels. It's a high-frequency 'digital interference' kind of noise, kind of similar to a ground loop noise, which is not there when the pedal is powered by batteries.
    The Tri-Logic is the only pedal I use, I'm playing a Fender Jazz straight into the pedal, which then goes into my audio interface and then my Mac. Works fine with batteries, makes evil hum with adapter. Anyone have any ideas?
  2. boomertech

boomertech Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Designer/Owner of FEA Labs
    Is the noise only with the computer connected to it? Do you have the same problem when plugged into your amp?

-Frank
  3. chriss

chriss Supporting Member

I use the same pre, though it is the original version, (I like it BTW) and the Dunlop PS and don't have any issues with noise. Use it straight to FOH and into my rig at home and it is dead quiet. This may not be of help to you other than to know it most likely not an issue with the pedal and PS.
  4. project_c

project_c

Sorry for the late reply - I've just tried it with headphones in a seperate headphone amp, and no, the noise is only there when I'm going into the computer, even when it's plugged into a socket in the other corner of the room. I'm guessing that's a computer / ground loop issue, and it's not something I'll be able to fix very easily.. Looks like it's back to batteries then. Sigh..
  5. boomertech

Disclosures:
    You may want to try a different power supply… sometimes that will completely remedy the problem.

Have you contacted the manufacturer for their suggestions?

-Frank
  6. boomertech

Disclosures:
    Another possible solution is to put a 1Kohm resistor in the ground path between the Tri-Logic and the computer. If you have a spare cable to experiment with it might be worth a try.

-Frank