1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tribute bands... What would you do?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 21, 2012.

1. zachoff

zachoff

I've wanted a Nirvana cover band for a long damn time but have tried it and failed for lack of a good Kurt. Sounds silly for the people that hate him, but it's a distinctive sound (both guitar and vox) that not many can cop (none that I've found).

I'd also be really into a Replacements tribute band. They're fun and Tommy Stinson is rad.
  2. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

Depends what your aspirations for the band are.

Tribute band audiences are a tough market to crack successfully. If you're looking to play out and make some money, you obviously want to choose not just a band that you like, but one that will have some cache with the public. Kinda pointless to cover material no one's interested in if your goal is to work the band.

How extensive is the band's "songbook"? Bands that only released 2 or 3 albums are probably limited in their appeal.

How obscure is the band or their material? Yeah, Nirvana is pretty well known, but how much of their catalog is widely known? Is there enough of an audience that is into the deeper cuts?

If you just wanna do it for the fun of it, or jam the stuff in your garage, it'll matter a lot less.

Just a couple of things to think about...
  3. pklima

pklima

Shakira. I even have the singer. We could turn our band into a Shakira tribute without too much trouble, the two of us already know over a dozen songs, but we'd need a different guitarist and also keys.
  4. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

I'm thinking AC/DC. Finding the right singer would be tough. Other than that, the songs are easy, meaning you could learn a whole bunch of 'em in a short amount of time, and audiences (around these parts at least) go crazy for anything by them. And they inspire drinking, which is good for bar business.
  5. SquierJazz72

SquierJazz72

My personal choice would be Sabbath, particularly the original Ozzy years and Dio's first run, so circa 70-81.
  6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I know a guy who can cop a great Bon Scott, but around here AC/DC tribute bands are a dime a dozen, at this point you need to have a schtick on top of your AC/DC, we have one group "whole lotta angus" or something like that, the whole band dresses up like angus young.
  7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

I've seen a couple of really good tributte bands. IMHO, I couldn't do it. It is one thing to play a cover here and there, but a tribute. I really am very happy being myself playing my own way. Props to those who can do the tribute thing..
  8. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    There is a great AC/DC Tribute called Dirty Deeds that plays in Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts and New York.

Check them out.

www.dirtydeedstribute.com

There is also a very good Aerosmith Tribute called Draw The Line that is based south of Boston but plays all over the world.

www.drawtheline.net
  9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

That's funny right there. :D
    And I just found some videographic evidence:
  10. mixtapelove

mixtapelove

Auditioning for a Steely Dan trib in January, on drums.

Curious to see where it takes me. I love the Dan and have my whole life.... but I wonder if playing it to death will make me rethink it later.

I'd only ever do it for two bands - them and Rush.
  11. smeet

smeet Supporting Member

I'm doing a Pink Floyd thing, we have our first gig in a week or so. I've never really done too many covers in 30+ years of playing, but this should be fun.
  12. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Boston or the Police. Both very popular, both pretty much not yet done in my neck of the woods. Not to mention, they'd both be really fun to do!
  13. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

I'm not their biggest fan and I've never had a cover band but I would totally do a Weezer tribute band in a heartbeat.

Tons of fun and catchy songs and plenty of casual and hardcore bands.
  14. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

I'd need to do something that wouldn't be too hard to book. First thoughts are
    • The Eagles
    • Pearl Jam
    • Def Leppard
  15. rickwebb

rickwebb

Bon Jovi. I wanna make money! :)
  16. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Well, I wanna make my own music, but if I ever would play in a cover band, I would play in a Adagio cover band! :hyper:
  17. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

A Nirvana tribute may be successful; although I don't think you'd be real busy with that sort of thing as compared to, say, an AC/DC or KISS tribute.

I'm afraid that a Replacements tribute would, to steal a line from a certain drummer with the last name of the Earth's only satellite, go down like a lead zeppelin.
  18. DanNowhere

DanNowhere

There's a group of guys around here that do several tributes. They change it up to keep from getting bored with it. In the past they've done:

KISS
    Van Halen
    The Cars
    The Ramones
    several others that aren't coming to mind right now

If you have the right group of guys, you can probably pull off whatever you feel like doing. They don't really do it for the money, just to put on a show once in a while for the fun of it, usually holidays like the 4th of July and Halloween. A couple of them put together a live band karaoke thing they do weekly at a couple of places in town too, and that's gotten fairly popular.

I've been a part of a Guided By Voices tribute band for years. It's mainly for fun. Our guitarist is one of their roadies.
  19. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I could pull off Tom in a slayer tribute, but finding drums would be difficult.
    As for obscure, how about a Captain Beefheart tribute?
  20. totallywink

totallywink Supporting Member

I did an Aerosmith tribute band years ago, right before their big come back ( the Done With Mirrors era) . We did somewhat well because Aerosmith was kinda in retirement mode back then, so to speak. It was fun and a great learning experience in trying to figure out grooves from Tom Hamilton.