Tribute JB2, MIM FSR, or...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orpheus55, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

I have a reasonably presentable stable of basses: Stingray, '86 MIJ P. Sting ; but, inexplicably, want a natural finish bass primarily as a backup and change-about. I was set on the Fender MIM Jazz FSR (which I have owned before; it was heavy!), but tried an ash Tribute JB2 and was very impressed! All the features of a J, and a very stable feel and a somewhat sharper sound (to my ears) and nice build quality. Someone else suggested the newer ATK200 in NT, and I did indeed own an NT ATK700 (sold under duress from wife), so...I need to make up my mind. I'm 61, play near-constantly in a classic rock band, and value my fellow TBer's experience in such matters. Whaddaya say!

2. mystic38

mystic38

recently got a tribute JB-2 and very happy with feel tone and playability of it.. lighter, better balanced, easier to play than a jazz and sounds great.
    Mine is the sunburst with maple fretboard.. my only issue is that i would really prefer a rosewood fretboard on this.. i just dont get on with maple.

3. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Sounds good; BTW, I love Mystic CT, as I grew up in New Haven.

4. vgbob

vgbob

Our circumstances sound similar, ie age and taste in instruments. I have a few different basses. A Mexican Jazz,
    an AVRI 62 P., a Euro Spector, among others. I really liked the
    62 P, so decided to get a P/J and picked up an SB-2, "just because". I've had it a couple of years now and it is becoming
    my favorite. It has the most comfortable neck of all of my
    basses. I am not familiar with JB-2, but I can't say enough about G&L in general, and if I were looking for another Jazz
    that would be it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. NWB

NWB

I now own two G&Ls. An M2500 and an SB-2. Both tributes because I'm too cheap for the MIA ones.

There's something about them that when you play one it screams "take me home!". Great feel and really distinctive tones.

I'd take a Tribute JB2 over a MIM jazz any day. Even though I like to look of the jazz better.

7. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Not to mention all the money I'd save from buying and swapping out pickguards. I personally like the natural ash look a lot, which is why I was looking at the Fender FSR and the ATK200. Also, I seem to recall the Tribute JB2s being more expensive once--say, somewhere around $599?

8. NWB

NWB

Without a sales price going on, I think the MIM standard jazz is about that price too. I don't know about the ATK so much.

Given the standard pricing of about $600 for an MIM jazz, I'd think you could likely get a similar price on a JB2. Now that GC carries G&L, you could probably get one somewhat cheaper during one of their holiday event sales.

9. NWB

NWB

10. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Same price at MF, which is where I usually shop. Time to break out the platinum!

11. NWB

NWB

No big surprise there seeing as they are the same company. Dang, that's near Squier pricing for one heckuva bass.

Be sure to post pics and review when/if you get one!

12. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Yeah, it's a good deal; and they're (MF) running that 19%--15% promotion, which I can almost always get any time of the year. I will certainly post and review. I like the NT best, though I wish it too had the maple neck.

13. Orpheus55

Orpheus55

Just ordered it from MF: $382.49. The guy said he'd make the same deal to anyone else, as the NTs are in stock--for once.

14. NWB

NWB

Cripes, that's a steal. If I can unload one of my guitars amps, I may have to get one too.

15. mystic38

mystic38

congrats!..

pm'd you about necks :)