1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tricky Trio

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassic Playing, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Hey guys,

So this year I began university, and have moved out of state, along with a couple of good friends. We have often fooled around musically, playing mostly stuff like The Magnetic Fields, Neutral Milk Hotel, and other strange folky kind of stuff, we've decided while we're here to really try and get it together, for a mix of covers and originals.

The problem is, both out of preference and in an attempt to get an interesting new sound, the main instruments being used are accordion, trombone, and guitar/bass (thats me), with us all sharing vocal duties.

Bottom line is, playing bass with no percussion and holding the foundation for an accordion and trombone is hard. Really hard. As such, most of the time I've been playing guitar. Are there any kinds of bands or bass players you guys can think of whose style I would do well to listen to to change this?

Thanks
  2. sizzle

sizzle sunn #91 Supporting Member

larry graham started out in a group with no percussion and that lead him to develop the style for electric bass know now as slap. you dont have to get crazy with it but the basis of playing the line and a percussive element for a beat could serve you
  3. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

It's an idea I'll try out, but unfortunately I don't think Larry's funk grooves and this Eastern European influenced folk band will have quite the same feel.