1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tried a new Gibson Ripper today...Doh! it was a Grabber! Shows what I know about Gibb

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fishheadjoe, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

I needed a new cable so I stopped into my local retail establishment to grab one and have a look around at anything that might be new. They had a Ripper hanging on the wall so I grabbed it and had a little playing session with it.
    Funny enough, but I liked the neck, which was something of a surprise for me, because most Gibby's I have played had thick necks, not this one.
    Sounded ok and was not heavy by any means and seemed to balance fairly well on my knee... but...
    The fret ends were so sharp that I had to put it away shortly after doing some slides up and down the neck. Virtually every fret felt sharp, almost like little tacs sticking out of both sides of the neck.
    Too bad because otherwise it seemed like a nice bass.
    Fishheadjoe

Edit to add... it was a Grabber, not a Ripper! Sorry folks!

2. garmenteros

garmenteros Junkyard Scout Gold Supporting Member

You mind saying how much they had it for? Those were a 2010 limited run of 400 and we're going for a street price of 2500USD. I've got a couple of rippers and they are awesome.

3. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

Price tag hanging off it said $999.99 CAD. I think, as I didn't have my glasses with me at the time! LOL
    Getting old is really starting to get old!
    Fishheadjoe

4. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

I just tried the new epi-tbird. It was VASTLY improved. I think Gibson/Epiphone is trying to make better basses more affordable and get back in the game.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Fly Guitars

Fly Guitars

Surprised by the sharp frets... I was just thinking the other day how rarely Gibson basses have sharp frets compared to some of the other vintage makes I have.

I wonder how and why this happens to some guitars and not others. Is it a case of how the guitar was made or how it was looked after - or both?

7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

Frets sticking out are usually a sign of the wood having been rather humid when fretted and finished, then exposed to dry conditions causing the wood to shrink.

8. goldenglory18

goldenglory18

Disclosures:
    Your Mom.
    Sharp fret ends are either poor craftsmanship, or change in weather/location of the instrument causing the neck to swelling and shrink JUST enough for the ends to pop out.

It's an easy fix really, and any reputable seller/store of new instruments should pay to have it corrected.

9. altamont

altamont

Was this the newer RI or a 70's one?
    And where was that?

10. Fishheadjoe

Fishheadjoe

It was the 70's model and it was at L&M in Scarborough.
    Fishheadjoe

11. DethByDoom

DethByDoom

My eb3 had to have a lot of work done to the frets when I bought it. All diff heights. Sharp spots. Luckily the shop I bought it from did a free setup and filed and recapped the frets that needed it. Disturbing trend?

12. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Mind selling one of your rippers ;):D i prefer rippers over grabbers cause the neck is thinner and more precision like. And it doesnt feel weird in contrast to the thin body

13. Mark4

Mark4

Same here. I've yet to run across a Gibson or Epiphone bass with sharp fret ends. Then again, the glossy finish on my Thunderbirds kind of acts as a binding so I wouldn't feel them anyway... but the faded SG basses I've played haven't had sharp frets either. Go figure. Apparently, they're out there, but it's pretty unusual if my experience is an indicator.

14. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Lately many new Gibson basses have had fret sprout. When shipped the bass is fine but a few weeks/months at home and the wood shrinks :( I have had this happen on two brand new Gibsons in the past year.

15. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life. Supporting Member

The sharp frets were probably due to the retailer not maintaining proper humidity levels in store. I've seen it time and time again.

16. hsech

hsech Smile. Life is short. Gold Supporting Member

My Gibson SG reissue bass has had perfect frets from day one. Its an 08 model and the frets are still holding up. Nice, rounded and smooth.

17. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

I've played a few newer gibson basses that had this, but many more guitars. It was especially present on the faded lines a few years ago. I had thought about picking one up at the time since I was playing a lot more guitar then and they were close to my price range but it seemed like everyone I picked up had a cheese grater attached to the underside of the fretboard.

18. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman

In 1976, I went to the music store (quite a drive) to buy a new P bass. I was using a 68 Jazz bass at the time, but wanted a P. I was disappointed by the 1976 P basses. I didn't like the necks, the finish, etc.

But an ebony Ripper caught my eye. Being a Kiss fan at the time, I bought it.

The neck wasn't bad, but it was definitely Gibson. Tonally, it had more highs and lows than my Jazz bass, but in the noisy din of our loud, hard rock band, it just got lost. I'd pick up the Jazz bass, and I'd punch right through.

Weeks/months later, I found a 64 P bass for $200 and had found MY bass. I traded the Ripper for a G-3, and liked the feel, tone and feel of that bass, but didn't stick with it long. The P bass was it.