1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tried everything to make an ampeg svt15 sound good BUT ...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by magr80, Jan 17, 2013.

1. magr80

magr80

I'm an old guy who loves old school everything. Decided to stick close to my fender/flatwound/ampeg sound but wanted to go a little further. I have (2) svt15e cabs. Got the blue grill cloth done, old logos, looking good just the way I remember. So I picked up a couple of JBL E140s. GREAT speakers as I recall from the cabs I used in the 80's. Speakers you can really feel and hit hard.

HOWEVER, these crappy cabs vibrate/buzz every which way and annoys the hell outa me. I've tried to isolate the noise. Spring handles? Hate them! The jack plate on the back with speakon and 1/4" jacks? Probably. I'm about ready to junk these boxes.

Any suggestions/opinions?? THANKS ~

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

SVT15 cabs were built using an OEM Eminence driver. Great sounding cabs, but as you've just learned, you can't just throw any old spkr in a box and expect it to work.

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

To the OP:

If you have the speakers, and the capability to build I would look at building some TL606 cabs for your drivers. Convert them to 1/2" and add some bracing. They should kill.

4. acleex38

acleex38

I was going to say "put one of them back to the way it was and ship it to me." :) I've been gigging my old one again lately and am back in love with it. It just works well for what I'm doing (right now, running a short-scale fretless into it with an Aguilar TH500 head).

Good luck with either a.) making the cabs work for you or b.) finding something that suits your needs better.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. magr80

magr80

For the heck of it, I took a couple of old Peavey 215D cabs I've had for years that I never used (with the BWs) and put the JBL's in there and MAN. A cab built like a tank with drivers that can push you around. But I really have no use for these large boxes. I'd like to get rid of them. They are like new. The ampeg cabs look sharp with the BWs in them too with the silver dustcaps. I guess I'll have fliptops build me something.

I also use an aguilar ag500. Using that amp instead of a tube amp through the ampeg cabs doesn't rattle it as bad. Guess I shouldn't bore a couple more port holes to let the air out ... fire sale!

7. KJung

KJung

You might call Don Oatman of LDS (Low Down Sound) cabinets. His first love is those old JBL15's, and he does just beautiful woodwork.

He could build empty cabs for you with any look you like (i.e., old Fender, old Ampeg, modern spray on with metal grills, etc., etc.).

Wouldn't cost that much and shipping would be relatively inexpensive and risk free. Specify light wood and there you go.

Just an idea!

8. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

The initial problem statement suggests something's wrong with the cabinet hardware or the cabinet joints, or possibly even a void or a break somewhere in the plywood.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Play guitar.
    +1. Don bought two K140's from me !

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    E140's should work just fine in those cabs, though.

I'd check the lining inside the cabs and make sure you have it attached to where it doesn't flap. And if everything but the baffle isn't lined, I might pick up a sheet or two of 1" thick Nu-Foam and do it. Flapping cab lining can sometimes cause rattling.

11. Codger

Codger Supporting Member

Have you tried sweeping the cabs with an audio oscillator to isolate noises?

12. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

K140s will work fine in that cab.

just add some bracing to kill the rattles.
    make it light and easy and just use a few wood dowels from front to back. and a few from side to side.
    or add some goop or foam strips to the back plate and handles and re attach them to kill the hardware vibration

Attached Files:

13. magr80

magr80

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. I'll trying the bracing next.

Does anyone think making the ports larger or changing the tube lengths or taking them out would help anything? I just want a clean, clear sound. The speakers are badazz enough without needing much help from the box itself.

I didn't think I could tell the diff, but I prefer these old JBLs and Altecs that I have.

Thanks!!

14. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

well, then you would be messing with the tuning of the cabs. A few folks have already said the JBL's should work ok within the dimensions of your Ampeg cabs. Perhaps you should start with some of the other suggestions (bracing, dampening) before you mess with the tuning.

just sayin'

15. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Hey, I just thought of something. You DO have gaskets installed between the speaker frames and the baffle boards, yes?

16. vin*tone

vin*tone

If you're lucky this could be really simple. Take the grill off. open the box, make sure nothing is touching the cones. Make sure everything is tight. You should be able to isolate where the buzz is coming from.

Make sure you rule out all the simple things before resorting to major surgery.