Tried Phil Jones Bass Buddy with Bergs ?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by audiorep2, Dec 1, 2012.

1. audiorep2

audiorep2

Has anyone tried a Bass Buddy to drive powered cabs such as berg IP112 ? Is there enough poop to drive one ?

2. N.F.A.

N.F.A. Supporting Member

I used to use mine live to drive a Bag End cabinet. It worked fine as a monitor. Never tried using it any other way. It will surely drive your Berg for monitor purposes.

3. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ping TB'er BartmanPDX. He has an IP and a Bass Buddy. Pretty sure he's used them together successfully.

4. Bassflute

Bassflute

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings
    yes there was enough poop. The sound was OK, not great. For small things, I liked the Sansamp stuff better with my Berg IP. But if you've already got the PJBB, it will work just fine.

Cheers,
    Cameron

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chadds

chadds

I tried one at Jive Sound.
    It has enough to "work". Then you plug in a real preamp and you hear all the IP can deliver.
    Cranked the Bass Buddy starts to clip either itself or both itself and the input of the IP. That sounds not so good.
    As a temporary measure, okay.
    Very low volume gigs don't present quite as much of an issue. When a powered cab is driven with less voltage then it wants to see or with a mismatched pre output to power amp input sensitivity it can work. The combination can reach a fraction of it's potential volume. Tone can be affected too.
    One can dial in the required amount at lounge volumes.
    Add a dedicated bass pre and you need very little eq. (with an IP) the same rig that can drown out drummers is just as full and articulate at very quiet volumes.