1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tried some amps today... Some Reviews! (Contains EBS, Fender, Ibanez!)

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Salamenster, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Salamenster

Salamenster

I walked into the store today, looking for an extremely portable gig/studio combo with an DI-out.

I saw on the site an EBS DROME 12, an old one. And tought: THAT'S THE ONE!

[​IMG]

Turned out I was wrong. I A/B'd it with my current combo, a Fender Rumble 75:

[​IMG]

The Rumble was lacking the clarity the EBS had (tweetertime?), but it was WAY more LOW, TIGHT and had a lot more PUNCH. The EBS was cool and stuff, but the rumble just punched you in the face. I cranked the EBS up real loud, to see if that did some punchy tricks. But it didn't.

Problem with the Rumble was still it's portability. I'm not a strong/tall guy and the bulge on the back really make it umportable so it's impossible to really take it to a friends house for a jam or a practice or even up/down the stairs of my own house.

The shopkeeper heard a conversation I had with my dad about the portability (I'm 17 and he's the one that needs to carry it up/down the stairs all the time, because I'd try that with my Rumble, I'd seriously fall to death) and pointed me a Ibanez Promethean.

It was just what I was looking for! Tight, clear, VERY portable, DI out and a tweeter for the clarity! Take it to a gig or a jam is easy. It has a DI-out so it's easy to use as a monitor and it can handle an extension cab!

[​IMG]

I'm still reflecting it, because you could still really feel the cabinet of the Rumble, but maybe using a Fender Rumble series cab may do the trick (I'm thinking 2x15" ;)). Anyone with more experience might give me some info on this?

I hope you guys have found this review helpful, altough I'm still kinda noobish in bass- and ampworld.

Comments are greately appreciated!

P.S. I hope my English wasn't too bad. I'm Dutch. Please point me at funky grammar and other wrong stuff, because I have an English writing exam this year. So any help is very welcome!

Thanks, all.

2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

I would definitely have gone with the Ibanez out of those 3. However I would have compared it to the brand new MAX II combo from Peavey before making a decision, if possible. They look great, have lots of power and are quite affordable.

3. Emanuel Apascaritei

Emanuel Apascaritei

Out of the three, I´d choose the Mark Bass!

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

If it feels right, then it's right! Your English is pretty good. I think you'll do well on the exam :)

7. Salamenster

Salamenster

I like Markbass too, but they're too expensive... :ninja:

And Lomo, thanks for the kind input, I surely hope so. English is an important subject in North-Western Europe...

8. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I would go with the ibanez!!! No doubt

Hehe, just in benelux :) i live in groningen(NL) now, but am from germany - where english is no important subject, everything gets translated... i learned english in the netherlands :p

9. Salamenster

Salamenster

Pff. All we Dutch folks are learning English, French and German... and you guys only want to communicate in your own language. Lazy folks! Just kidding. :hyper: But cool to hear you're a dutchie-convert. Now, we're getting Off Topic, so let's call this little conversation a day, and I would like to end by suggesting you into the direction of the Dutch club.

10. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I always wanted one of those Promethean combos. Being able to remove the head and plug into a bigger cabinet is always nice. It would be my top choice of the three if you're going to add another larger cab later

I'm a small framed guy with an injured right shoulder so I understand having some limitations on what gear you can carry. In my experience, a bigger cabinet (610/810/215) with wheels and a grab bar on top is much easier to transport across flat distance than a 410 that you'll have to carry. If you have a truck, van, or a hatchback, the bigger cabs will be easy to load. In a smaller car everything is hard to load, especially by yourself.

11. caligula

caligula

I'm quite surprised to hear the EBS didn't perform well.
    I'd have thought it could kill the others.

Off topic:
    Definitely not the case any more. English is one of the three most important subjects these days. Primary schools start teaching English in grade 2 - 3.
    Of course, learning English in school for 6-7 years doesn't necessarily mean you're any good (unfortunately); I'll give you that.
    I taught German in England and you wouldn't believe the things I experienced......different story though.

12. zazz

zazz

The drome can be deceptive .... Many times I'm playing away at what I consider a very low social volume and I'm getting complaints from neighbours about a sub sonic bass sound coming through.

13. rust_preacher

rust_preacher

It seems to me you have mastered the colloquial style used on TalkBass and elsewhere on the internet very well. Your grammar in this context is fine.

School-taught grammar, on the other hand, can be tricky. Be sure you listen what the teachers emphasize in class. Inevitably those points end up in the exams. All the best to you!

14. wateroftyne

wateroftyne

That's the new-style Promethean - 300w, non-detachable head.

The previous version is astonishing (albeit plagued by QC issues).

15. Salamenster

Salamenster

Tight. I'm selling my previous combo to buy an extension cab for the Ibanez... Min 8 Ohms... Suggestions?

16. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I had a Drome for a while and I see it mainly as a "studio tool" with all its connections and features. I was not too impressesd by its tone, mainly due to how the speaker is voiced.
    I would strongly suggest you look at a head + cab setup instead. If you can do without headphone jack, CD input etc, the Mark Bass LM 250 and LM II/III are very well invested money, IMO. As "clean" and true sounding as EBS etc but more powerful. Find a 8 Ohm, lightweight 1x12" and you can add a second, identical cab later. That will be much more gig-worthy and better sounding than any of the above combos.

17. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

I jusy played through a MarkBass LM Tube 800 last weekend. Okay amp and I didn't mind using it, but it didn't excite me. I would not rush out and buy one myself, but that is my tonal choice ;)

18. Salamenster

Salamenster

Markbass is so super expensive here. Y u no understand I can't afford MarkBass? xD