Tried something new last night.....

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by jcerio, Nov 4, 2012.

1. jcerio

jcerio

Just for grins, I tried something different with the front end at the gig last night and it worked out better than I ever dreamed! My band's PA consists of 2 Carvin 215 tops driven by a QSC GX7 that gets us by for 99% of our shows. We typically play small clubs and just run vocals, guitar, and a bit of kick drum through it. I have a set of Peavey 118 subs that I drive with a bridged QSC RMX 2450 for larger venues. Last night, rather than cross it over and balance the tops and subs I ran the kick and bass through the subs only, and everything else through the tops. It sounded great, it was easy to mix, and everything was crystal clear. I plan on doing it that way from now on.
  2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

In other words you auxed the subs? You should still use a crossover though.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    Uh good for you. That wouldn't be my approach generally...
  4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That's my preference as well. There's nothing below 80hz on vocals or guitars that needs to go to the subs.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

right, you still wanna cross over those subs and tops, and the bass and kick need to be in the tops, too.
  7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I think he meant to say "Only bass and kick in the subs", not "Kick and bass ONLY in the subs".
  8. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

It looks like he means what he says: not crossed over, bass & kick in subs only.

In small venues, between stage sound and mic spill you might get enough definition on the kick and bass. For a large venue, YMMV but mic spill alone doesn't cut it for me.
  9. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Sales : String Swing Mfg.
    Aux mixed subs are nothing new. A lot of pros do it that ways. You could also sub mix out the subs. I am thinking about re setting up my pa rig this way my tops can go down to 37 hz. So I might even have those go full range