1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Trilogy Music Group?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by dnosewor, Dec 28, 2012.

1. dnosewor

dnosewor

Has anyone here ever had any dealings with these guys? They contacted our band saying they are a music marketing company who promote to college & commercial radio stations nationwide. They do all this for a cost of course. Our band released our first album a couple weeks ago. We posted a couple tunes up on soundcloud which how these guys found us. I'm really skeptical of the whole thing. I think these guys just troll soundcloud and similar sites looking for bands to scam. They have a website, www.trilogymusiconline.com but I can't find anything else about them. I figured some of you on here may have also been contacted by them and can give me some info.
  2. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

Are they asking you to pay money up front for their "services"? If so, it's a scam. (I've never heard of the company in question, so I'm just speaking in general terms).
  3. dnosewor

dnosewor

They haven't really talked about money yet. What they said was `Let me know if you'd like more info on the different promotions we do. We handle nationwide, regional and customized packages to fit the project & budget.` They probably don`t even realize that we`re in Canada and they can`t help us anyway. We`re already getting pretty good local radio play. I don`t think we need a company like this anyway.
  4. AuntieBeeb

AuntieBeeb

So how does this story end? I only ask as we've just had a similar email, only a couple of days after releasing our new album! Did you give them a try? Did they charge you extortionate amounts of money then run away giggling, or were they actually quite helpful?
  5. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

These people are like those dodgy "modelling agencies" who tell young girls how gorgeous they are, con them into paying a fortune for photo portfolios and never actually book them a modelling job. It's not much different - it's legal, but it's a total scam.
  6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Well, apparently the OP has lost interest in this discussion... :rolleyes:

If he were still here, I would suggest that he simply give this company an opportunity to give him the full pitch - then evaluate it on its merits, and evaluate the company itself on its actual track record.

That means get very specific: What precisely do they propose to do for your band? In particular, what, if anything can they do for you that you cannot do for yourselves? What do they require in return, and on what specific terms?

Invite them to provide you with some case studies. Ask to speak with a few of their current & former clients - then follow up.

There are a lot of companies out there in the performing arts industry with a business model based on picking the low-hanging fruit of young, naive, inexperienced artists who need a lot of help making connections and making a name for themselves. The services they provide, while legitimate & legal, are largely things that any business-savvy artist or artist management company would already know how to do - and would already be doing them. Then, of course, there are the pure scam artists who don't provide anything of value, and simply try to rip you off.

If I were the OP, I would have at least listened to their full pitch, before reaching any conclusions. :eyebrow:

MM
  7. dnosewor

dnosewor

That's exactly what I said to our band when we were discussing it.

They did write us back and describe their services and how much each package costs. I don't remember any of the details now, I'd have to dig back through our email.

We decided not to give them any money. We're a Celtic band from the east coast of Canada. There's not much of a demand for our type of music. I doubt they could have done much for us. Maybe if you're a band who plays more main stream popular music and they get you national radio play like they say they can, then maybe it's worth it.

I think they just troll sound cloud and reverbnation looking for new bands to prey on.
  8. tmdazed

tmdazed

Pay to play like gorilla music and their ilk , run away FAST
  9. MarkMgibson

MarkMgibson

I'm glad you didn't hand over any cash to these people, and I doubt it matters much what type of music you play. Perhaps there's a few companies that operate in this way that are genuine, but I doubt it - in 30 years I've never seen a single one.

Best of luck with your band,
    Mark