Tripled down on the $400 pawn shop Chinese no-name

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mindwell, Mar 20, 2014.

1. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

After a couple months of backlog and delays over finding a sufficiently wide ebony fingerboard blank, the luthier has finished and the $400 Chinese pawn shop bass has come back really, really nice. I'm astonished by how well it plays and how good it sounds.

[​IMG]

Bass has a big neck, so after having two Indian ebony blanks not measure up, luthier went for a B-grade German board.

[​IMG]

Myself, I think he did a hell of a job. Neck plays beautifully all the way down, and the arco sound is magnificent. It's a Bb, by the way.

[​IMG]

I'll bring it in next week for some tweaks. Neck is pretty thick, so I might have it taken down a bit. Or maybe not.

[​IMG]

This bass sounds and plays wonderfully, and not just with regard to price point. My wife, who has a DMA in violin performance from the University of Oklahoma, is very impressed with the sound. Upshot: I do not care about the weird cutaway. This is an excellent Chinese laminate bass, and I'm lucky to have her. Now I just need a name...

2. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

Heck of a score! Congrats! Enjoy it :)

3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

It will play even nicer if you take the E string nut slot down.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    Give yourself some time to get used to the thick neck. You might end up preferring it, as I did with my new bass.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ErikvanD

ErikvanD

Great shot that first picture! Will try that once myself.
    Enjoy your bass!

7. Champagne

Champagne

Definitely give yourself some time. I gave mine time as well even though it was a little tough and had a little pain. Wouldn't change it now for anything.