Triumphant Return....

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DB40, Jan 2, 2014.

1. DB40

DB40

...well maybe not. But it's been almost 20 years since I've had a bass, having switched to guitar and drums. Now I just bought a bass, and I need a rig... Which poses a problem. Back in the day Fender was a good name for amps, I've been out of the bass loop for so long I don't know many of the 'new' brands. Looking for suggestions for garage jams, music styles; Tool, BLS, Megadeth, Metallica etc. probably prefer a solid state head, with a 4x10 cab.

2. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Check out the new(er) Ampeg PF- series stuff. Matches up nicely to your description and doesn't break the bank.

3. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

G-K (not all that new of a name), Aguilar, Carvin (also not a new name), MarkBass, Orange, Marshall, Ampeg mentioned above, Peavey (another very old name) lots to explore.

4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066

what is your budget?

IMHO the two Best Bang for the Buck on the Market right now in Solid State Heads are:

[​IMG]

$350.00 New

[​IMG]

$350.00 New

In terms of Cabs there is a lot out there!!! Some of the Better buys new are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both can be had for About $500.00

Happy Hunting!!!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msaone

msaone

I have a fender rumble 350 head with their 410 cab.

This setup works great for what I do and was only $700 new

About half the people here will tell you it's garbage and not good for shows.

The other half think they're fine.

7. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

I just stepped up to a 4x10 cab this month. My choice was the Hartke Hydrive 410.

Be sure to try out as many as you can before making your purchase, and try 'em loud; each brand has their own sound, and only you can fight forest fires. - I mean only you will know which is right for you.

8. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard

You already got some good suggestions. So I'll just say Welcome to TalkBass!

9. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Those hartke lh500 heads are awesome! You can find em for 200-250$ used in prefect shape! As far as cabs go check out: ampeg, hartke, GK, fender bassman/rumble. Remember to check used!

10. Linnin

Linnin

+1 Agree with msaone Fender Rumbles are an excellent choice. Be sure to audition one and hear for yourself. :)

11. TC.65

TC.65

Anything mentioned above. It will just depend on your personal preference. Another good brand is Genz Benz. A lot of places are giving really good deals on them as Fender seems to be phasing them out. Good luck and enjoy.

12. Rob22315

Rob22315

Best bang for buck - buy used. There are lots of deals out there on great sounding gear at prices much lower than new. I've had great luck on TB, and good luck on eBay or craigslist. Old school, you can't beat Peavey for value and reliability. New school, the class D amps are very portable. The amp sections are now a commodity so the art is in the peamp sections. I like GK but my Promethean sounds great too.

13. DB40

DB40

Thanks for all the input. My location sucks, there are a couple Long & McQuade's around but they carry mostly combo amps. And if there are head and cab, its AMPEG, GK, or Peavy, so there isn't much in the line of trying things out... which sucks.

14. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Lucky for you ampeg Gk and peavey are all pretty awesome brands!