Trouble deciding on a gear setup.Your recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GriNn, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GriNn

GriNn

Not sure if there is a better place to post this, if so I apologize! So let me start by saying I haven't played another instrument before besides the harmonica, and even that hardly none, lol, so despite researching stuff for the past couple weeks I'm still relatively clueless as to what i need to get a good setup running and all.

Anyway, although I'm new to the bass I'm pretty set on going through and getting some good gear. As far as the bass goes, I'd like to get a 5-string. I know it's not the best for learning on, but I want something that i won't upgrade from later. And I know this is a super scrub statement, but I want to play death metal/metalcore (or atleast that's my goal) so I'd prefer my gear be focused in that direction.
    I'm completely clueless about amps and all that, not even sure what i need exactly. An amp head, cabinet, and would a bass driver or any pedals be good to pick up? I don't need a massive stage-worthy setup, but something that could do some small shows/venues would be awesome.

So basically I'd just like to get some of your guys recommendations! My budget is around $1,000-1,200. Not knowing very many people that play bass, and even less that play any sort of metal makes me somewhat clueless, so throw anything my way.

The main bass I've been looking at is this.
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/ESP-LTD...ng-Electric-Bass-Guitar-106557143-i1465168.gc
  2. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Nice bass, but unless you buy used you won't have nearly enough money left over for an amp. Scour the TB classifieds, eBay, and Craigslist. Hopefully you can build a decent rig within budget over a period of time.
  3. GriNn

GriNn

Hmm alright, I wouldn't mind spending a bit more than that. Do you have any ideas what i should be looking for specifically?
  4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Marco Bass Guitars
    If your wanting to play metal... you'll need a large massive stage worthy setup. There's no getting around it, your going to be playing with metal heads with massive amps, not guys with little 1x12 15 watt combos. Not to mention the caveman beater drummers out there.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I agree with what everyone else has said so far. Looked for used gear. You will be able to get more for your money. I can understand your attraction to the ESP because you are playing metal but don't choose a bass because you think it will look cool. Buy one because it has the tone you want. There are plenty of metal bassists using Fenders, Ibanez and other brands. You can probably get a good sounding Ibanez used for less than what you would pay for the ESP.

You are going to need a head with some power to it. Since you said you don't mind spending a little more money, you can probably pick up a used Ampeg SVT 4 Pro or 6 Pro for around $600 and a couple of used SVT 410 cabs for around $300 to $350 each or a used 810 for around $500 to $600.
  7. Hobobob

+1 on a head with some respectable wattage, and a cab (or cabs) that can take it. I play in a metal outfit, although not as brutal as what you're describing. My rig is a 500W Markbass head and a Mesa 4ohm 2x12. Yes, just 2x12. You might need more than that, you might not. It all depends on who you play with and how you EQ your bass tone (I love me some mids!). Ampeg 8x10's are pretty ubiquitous on the used market, but you have to ask yourself what you're willing to schlep.
  8. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

If you never played bass, buy something cheap and practice a lot.

10-30W amp and cheap 4 strings bass.

You might find (like many), after 6 months that you would rather fix cars than play bass.
  9. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Bang for the buck...get yourself a Schecter Diamond P 5 string and a Gallien Kruger MB 212 combo. I believe you will be in under budget to buy a tuner and maybe a couple of cheap pedals.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

If you haven't already, read the fourth link from the top on the Basses page called "Are YOU Looking For A Good Bass For Metal? Click Here First" Then watch the TB classifieds for a used model of the bass you seek.
  11. GriNn

GriNn

Appreciate the replies guys. I'll start looking at these once I get home from work for sure.

Are there any specific Ibanez models I should be looking at in particular, kmonk? Or anyone else =P
  12. Hobobob

BTB's are killer, and look cool. If you want something sleeker with a slimmer neck, the Soundgears are nice. I have a Soundgear 6 string and I dig it. The ATK has a more traditional appearance, but has monster tone with the giant humbucker at the bridge.
  13. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

I would definitely check out an ibanez soundgear. I didn't use mine for metal but it was pretty versatile. Nice fast neck too. You might check out some of the Hartke amps. You can find some of their cabs and heads used for a good price. That would give you the option to add on another cab later. Whatever you do try to find what sounds good to you and then rock out!:D
  14. GriNn

GriNn

15. Andy_D

Andy_D

+1 THIS..... You don't need to worry about anything "gig worthy" until you have learned how to play, and have at least spent some time jamming with your buds and learning the ropes. Seriously!