trouble finding a way to power all my high mA pedals...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by drumnbassman, Mar 7, 2014.

1. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

my board isnt big, it only has 4 pedals on it (may expand to 5) but im having a horrible time trying to power them all.
    the pedals are like this-

peterson vss-c
    markbass compressore
    empress paraEq
    ebs valve drive

the markbass and ebs both need 600 mA each and 12v. the peterson is a standard 9v and i think like 30 mA and the empress is switchable from 9/12/18 and only 30 mA as well. the other people im thinking of adding is a TC nova repeater, which is 12v and 300mA.
    i cant seem to find a power supply that will work with these pedals. i know the markbass and the ebs are super hungry pedals... but they sound so great id hate to try and find something else. right now im using wall warts for everything and its driving me nuts. what would be the cheapest and most effective way of powering these pedals? its just a small board and i dont have a tonne of room for multiple power supplies.

thanks!!

2. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

TheGigRig power supply should be able to cover all those bases (might need some of their adapters and voltage pumps) with power to spare. Not be cheapest PS out there but you get what you pay for. It's what I use.

3. the explode man

the explode man

I've never used the GigRig, but I've looked into a similar situation before and unless you want to make your own power supply, I think this is your only option.

But yeah, definitely not the cheapest power supply on the market.

4. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

dang. the powersupply is pretty pricey, but then everything else like the supa-novas and things like that you need to add to make it happen is what really gets you.
    how could you go about building your own power supply?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rob22315

Rob22315

Joyo makes some inexpensive isolated pedal supplies, check them out.

7. Slough Feg Bass

Slough Feg Bass

voodoo lab has one that does this I think. still kinda pricey, but totally worth it.

8. shoesandbasses

shoesandbasses Supporting Member

The Markbass came with a power supply right? It's 12V at 1.5amp. You can power the 2 600mA pedals daisy chained with the one power supply. The other pedals run at 9v into a conditioner like the VooDoo Labs Pedal power digital, etc.

On my board I mounted the pedal power to the bottom and added a little extension cable that the power conditioner could plug into, and that also had a spot for the 12V MB supply to plug in. Works great!

9. Rob22315

Rob22315

I have to ask, what's in those pedals that's drawing that much current? I checked a couple of my pedals and they all draw tens of ma's.

10. drumnbassman

drumnbassman

Thanks shoesandbasses, i think thats what i will end up doing.

Rob, these pedals have tubes in them They use the high mA to power a transformer thats built inside of them to bump that 12v up to like 300v.

11. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

The only isolated supplies I know with enough high current output are the CIOKs DC-10 or Powerfactor 2, but you still need to use a couple parallel cables to pair together two of the 400mA 12V outputs to get 800 for each pedal. They are pretty expensive supplies for such a small board though- I would second the suggestion of pairing up the two big guys from one wall wart! Are you sure neither tube pedal requires AC power instead of DC?

12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Both Markbass and EBS has tubes in it which cause that high amount of current draw, most digital pedal like the eventide, line6 m series, also draw quite a high amount of current

13. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

You have a tough scenario, I would suggest the MONDO from Voodoo Lab. You will have to buy a current doubler to run your Compressore utilizing the high current side running at 12V (400mA + 400mA = 800mA). The EBS Valvedrive is AC powered, not DC. You will have to use the courtesy AC outlet. Peterson and Empress can stay on the right. If you add the Nova you will have to buy another current doubler to use on the right side with the sockets 5&4 (250mA + 100mA = 350mA) socket 4 with the DIP switch on to make it 12V. MONDO IMO is your best choice.
    http://www.voodoolab.com/pedalpower_mondo.htm
    http://www.voodoolab.com/shop/index.php?cPath=22_24_33

14. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

+1 This sounds like a decent solution. I have a Mondo, including for several high-current pedals, and it works out pretty well. I currently don't have to use any current doubling cables, but I power two Eventide units, a Line6 M5, three relatively high-current Empress pedals (Compressor, Heavy, and Multidrive---the Heavy takes 200 mA), a Source Audio Manta, and a Morpheus Droptune. And I STILL have the AC outlet available (which will probably go to the Beat Buddy when it arrives).

15. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

I use a Boss GT10B power supply (actually a clone I got off bay for $13.00) to power 10 pedals

It is 2000 mA & has a small footprint

16. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Supporting Member

The CIOKS AC10 suits your needs just fine.

It has 2 outputs that you can use for 9V DC pedals (outputs 1 & 2). It has a 12V AC output with 800mA for the EBS, and also a 12V DC output with 600mA for the Markbass.
    You can then still use one of the supplied cables to sum up the 2 12V DC outputs (outputs 3 & 4) of 200mA each for your Nova Repeater if needed.

While I don't like the proprietary cables on the CIOKS, and unless they've changed it, it's not easy to mount underneath a pedaltrain (without mods), I must admit the high currents available (and choice of AC and DC) make it a very flexible power supply.

I use it on the board where I have a Swell B-Peg (12V AC), and a Van Amps reverb pedal (12V AC as well), as well as a few 9V DC pedals, and it works great.

17. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

+1 on the AC-10. I use one as well and would have suggested it above if I knew of the AC powering requirement!

18. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

DC output---won't handle the AC output required.

19. Darknut

Darknut Supporting Member

yep .... didn't see that

20. jimmybc91

jimmybc91

+2 on the AC10, though I have no experience with Ciosk I know people have had no problems with them. I myself have become a Voodoo Lab fan hence the suggestion on the MONDO. AC10 seems to work for you better since you wont need to carry that big AC adapter for the EBS. If I wouldv'e known about the AC10 a couple months back I wouldv'e tried this route. ;)

21. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

I like the GigRig Generator system because it has all the power anyone could ever need AND is modular, meaning I'll never have to buy another power supply again regardless of whether I downsize or upsize.