1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trouble Sleeping because of Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by amusicalperson, Feb 17, 2014.

1. amusicalperson

amusicalperson

Guys, for about the past month or so, I've been having trouble sleeping because of my bass. The minute I close my eyes my fretboard and my hands pop in my head and my mind continues to play basslines all night long causing my lack of sleep. I see now why Mozart went crazy from music! Lol Just wondering if any of you have a similar problem or know any ways to help.

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Common problem for me. Read before you go to bed, or get your mind on something different. The brain is a wonderful thing, and likely you are working out playing problems as you sleep or are in a near sleep mode.

Watching the Olympics I wonder how many of them see their sport in their sleep?

FWIW- I don't think Mozart went crazy. But you might look into the life of Robert Schumann if you want to find crazy.

3. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Yeah. Still happens to me every so often. Don't worry. It'll gradually dissipate and go away on its own in about 18 years..

4. MarshallNole

MarshallNole Supporting Member

Happens to me a lot. I have to read before I go to bed usually.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

Drugs are good. Millions of Americans rely on sleeping pills.

7. Salamenster

Salamenster

Well, I once woke up with the phrygian dominant scale and played it right away. I didn't even know what a mode was at the time, and the only scale I knew was pentatonic. But I just woke up with it in my head and BAM, there it was, out of nowhere.

8. jamminology101

jamminology101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Glockenklang
    It means your into it!! Happens to the best of us. When I am learning a new tune my mind goes over the parts and sometimes its hard to consciously turn off that stuff. Reading as said earlier is good or really any activity that is non bass related where you have to think which doesnt include mindlessly numbing tv which spoon feeds all the thought for you. A couple of cool ones before bed usually konks me out if im having trouble sleeping. Watch out for all those hypnotic class drugs like ambien because you are liable to get in your car and drive to the grocery store and go shopping and not even remember it....

9. Moe Freaka

Moe Freaka

Disclosures:
    Bassist, writer, teacher: Matthew Harris
    Think about lyrics instead. Keep your pad handy so if you have an epiphany. Buy more likely you'll dose off trying! If you're like me

10. Itzayana

Itzayana

That happens to me all the time. I don't consider it a problem.
    Just means that I am not tired. I am energized. I get up and do something.
    I only try to sleep when I am tired.
    If I stay up all night, no big deal. I'll sleep well the next night.
    There will be plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

11. dsamudio

dsamudio Supporting Member

I have the same problems with music and work. I tried TV, but very few shows have the timbre that allow me to fall asleep, much less stay asleep. The TV sleep timer helped.

The best solution I have found is audio books. It's not music, so I do not start analyzing what I hear and I can recline and close my eyes and let sleep take me.

I use book marks to so I don't lose any of the story and set a timer to turn off the audio book (audible.com on my iphone).

In my case, I actively sought a solution because my lack of sleep was effecting my work and health.

Now, if I can't fall asleep, I may move to the couch, so I don't disturb my wife, setup my iphone with an audio book and I'm usually asleep in minutes.

Dimitrius :oops::oops:

12. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses/Genz Benz - RIP/Mojo Hand FX
    I play "holdem" poker on my iPhone before I go to sleep...that helps me get the songs out of my head...

13. Chainsaw Willie

Chainsaw Willie

I have lost sleep because there is some subject that I cannot stop thinking about. I have found my brain needs a re-boot to dump the buffer.

Strangely one thing that works for me is bad TV. If I find myself thinking too much when I should be sleeping, I get out of bed, go downstairs, and see whats on TV. Usually 10 minutes of CHiPs completely empties my brain and prepares me for being unconsious for the rest of the night.

14. J Schroder

J Schroder

I just go with it. Sometimes it's a gift to work lines out in your head without amplified jizz from a StratoBlaster next to your ear!

15. fmoore200

fmoore200

I used to do the same thing, but now all I lose sleep to is worrying about bills :help: :bawl:

16. sharkbait130

sharkbait130

A teaspoon of Nyquil works for me.:oops:

17. RumbleSteve

RumbleSteve

One should be so lucky to think of the positive side of life (Bass). As opposed to bills or other problems that mostly pertain to you specifically.

I'v found the best way to sleep is to self medicate. Pot will make you drag in the morning, but, a few cold beers or a half 5th of whiskey will take the "5th s" out of your head enough to hit the hay.

Reading through this thread there are many great ideas, so it's up to the person to find out which works best. Or combine them all and forget about sleeping altogether cause sleeping is IMO, overrated. :help:

18. amusicalperson

amusicalperson

Thanks for all the advice guys, I think reading sounds the best since I might as well aquire some knowledge, knowledge never hurts. Too bad the only books I care to read are music books lol

19. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

20. GK Growl

GK Growl

Totally. I take it a step further and do some coke or meth when I finally do wake up just to make sure I'm good and alert. :hyper:

21. baba

baba

Last night the bass line for Rio was keeping me awake. Non stop playing bass in my head. I Want You Back is another one that haunted me for a solid week.