1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Trouble with Bassman 100T?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MetroBass, Jan 18, 2014.

1. MetroBass

MetroBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.
    I primarily use this for a practice amp but today I allowed a friend to use it at a gig. As a practice amp I run it at the 25W setting and have never had any problems, however, we switched it to the full 100W for his gig.

When we did this the auto biasing would not lock in. We finally got it to respond and when it did I get a red light, two greens and an orange. Amp definitely doesn't feel like it's delivering 100W. Do I need new tubes?

I did notice that the power tube closest to the left from the rear was glowing extremely orange.
  2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Manual probably says something along lines of "when light glows X, replace tube".
  3. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Take it in for service. If the tube was glowing orange (ie plates glowing and not just the heaters) you can have other issues that should be checked to prevent damaging more tubes. Also have them check the bias circuit, apparently that circuit has been a bit of a problem for people.
  4. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

Try a new 6L6. As the manual says, it should bias and settle in. If not, that's where the work begins. Do a search of related threads.

Marc
  5. MetroBass

Disclosures:
    Thanks - I have Wing Cs in there but still have the original JJs I'll try tomorrow to see if it biases.
  6. MetroBass

Disclosures:
    Put one of the JJ I had laying around - problem fixed. Looks like Winged C are no longer being made and there's a huge mark up now - $40 /tube.
  7. Tim1

Tim1

So.....this is an example of the autobias circuitry behaving exactly as it should and working to the advantage of the player......:D :D :D