Trouble with consitency

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by varozerolf, Dec 31, 2013.

1. varozerolf

varozerolf

I have recently been learning how to use three fingers for 16th notes, but the problem is it does not have the same consitent sound as with two fingers. It sounds a lot more trebly. Also, i have a lot of difficulty with moving strings when doing it. :confused:
  2. ZenG

ZenG

Keep at it....
    Over time you will get better......

Cheers........:)
  3. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

Media:
    Assuming you are talking about a three fingered plucking technique...

I've been a three finger guy for many years. Practice slowly to get consistent tone/ attack and so forth. One day you'll speed it up and you'll find it's all there. Don't rush it. For string switching, rake techniques are your friend.

Also the guy who pretty much has the fastest and most consistent three finger technique I've ever heard/noticed has a trick to getting it to sound right. Look up youtube instructional videos of Billy Sheehan and you'll find it.

Basically he moves his plucking hand a bit to kind of get the attack at about the same place on the strings with all three fingers.

Also, sometimes consistency matters and sometimes it doesn't. Always practice for it, but don't worry about it when it doesn't happen in rehearsal or a gig.
  4. Art Araya

Art Araya Supporting Member

When I was switching from pick playing to two finger playing my teacher gave me some exercises to get both fingers strong and consistent - it should work for three fingers also.

1) Practice slow
    2) Practice striking one string with one finger at a time. Make sure you get the same tone from each finger
    3) Alternate three fingers on one string and try to make all three hits even with each other
    4) Alternate three fingers on one string, vary your accents so that they fall on the first finger for a while, then the second finger for a while, and then the third finger. This way you learn to control where the accent lies and all three fingers are capable of playing a note unaccented or accented
    5) Introduce string skipping up one string then up two strings, then up three strings, then repeat with going down strings.

There's lots of other things you can do in here but this gives you some ideas.
  5. Register to disable this ad