1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trouble with Fender jazz deluxe setup

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lukiluk, Oct 22, 2013.

1. lukiluk

lukiluk

Hello to all,
    I have a trouble with the setup of my Fender American Deluxe Jazz 5
    In practice buzz from the fourth to the sixth fret on the D string(very hard)A string and E. .. in zero G string buzz at all .. D string buzz is very hard
    My action is about 4/64 "-4.4 / 64" at the twelfth fret and the neck relief is approximately 0.020 "eighth fret
    What could it be?
    If the action is too low, the buzz would be all over the neck, right?
    It could be some fret top to level?
    thanks

2. Jheake

Jheake

Hi, I have the same bass and had the same exact problem. Try adding more relief and then adjusting the action from there. The 5 string necks are great, but they def dont like to be dead strait. At least thats how mine is.

Once i added the relief the buzz was gone. I just had to drop the action down to get it where i wanted.

Not a very technical answer, but it worked for me with that same exact bass, that had the same exact symptoms. Fret buzz on the middle strings between 4-7 frets.

3. bassarama

bassarama Supporting Member

What model is your AM Deluxe ?
    That makes ALL the difference in the world.
    I personally collect and play the 1996 2001 models

and
    the 2001-2008 models.

I find the newer AM deluxe with all due respect NEITHER sound as good, look as good, play as good, or SETUP as good. I have 4 of them from 1999-2006 and ALL necks are perfect and plus they have 22 frets.

just personal choice BUT the new AM Deluxe from 2010 on just doesn't do it for me..I feel Fender is super over the top in the gazillions of models it produces --like the new re-issues and the Select...who cares--and they are NOT CHEAP. I don`t even have to get into Master Built Geddy Lee costing more than an original (there has been a forum on this already :)

So IF it is an early AM Deluxe, I am surprised to hear of neck buzz ? If so I think I agree with another response--teeny bit more neck relief and move bridges up and pickups down-for balance

GOOD LUCK

4. lukiluk

lukiluk

Is a 2011..I must add relief?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jheake

Jheake

Thats the same year I have, 2011. Add some relief, get the neck to stabalize, and then mess around with the Action.

7. bassarama

my intuition was bang on !!

those 2010 -13 models are cheap wood and cheap electronics.

so yeah you have to give some relief and go one string at a time over the entire fretboard. I Don`t rely on numbered measurements as they vary according to string gauge, string brand and PERSONAL preference.

rather try visual and feel method.
    if Low B is boomy ==lower the pickup down on B string side
    if high G string is too weak --raise the pickup on that side etc.

I have included a recording that I had heard about 5 years ago and the PLAYING and TONE blew me away. It stood out on over 15 Cd`s that I had been studying.

Check other vids where you can see the bass Player playing a 1997 Blue American Deluxe 5 tuned down to an A ( he plays Low B flats on the included recording.

best to you !!

8. Jheake

Jheake

I have a 2013 4 string also, and the neck is perfect.
    as far as the previous Deluxes being better, that is totally subjective. I owned a 2005 American Delxue and an 07, and neither of them sounded better then my 2011 or 2013 American Deluxes. I will say that the older ones did set up a little easier though, but thats just my 11Ver. I had an 07 AM DLX 5er that was an aboloute dog too. The low B on that bass was one of the worst i have played for a bass in that price range. I think it was only 1300 back then.

Anyway YMMV

9. bassarama

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/basses-stand-out-playability-tone-value-etc-1024364/

I just SAW this thread.

Note comment about 3 or 4 in by CHASARMS.

Yes NOTED all things are subjective especially when dealing with organics, chemistry, the day of the week bass completed on, etc. and MOJO.

Years ago I played 2 Killer Bubinga 6 string basses at Ken Smith Basses in NYC. One was a dog and the other was ONE of the best basses I have ever played. They were beside each other--same woods, etc.
    Only visible difference was the good one had Black hardware AND the bad one had GOLD.......all that glitters ;)

10. bassarama

Point well taken.
    I agree and feel that the 1996-2001 are the BEST and after those years it is a matter of finding a good one out of the bunch. These early ones have a 9 volt preamp and a treble control that works to cut the brightness for example and the mid control works fine. Very MUSICAL preamp, and let`s not forget until 1998 there was the magic of the Suhr Preamp and the single pole pieces and the 22 fret board.....

peace out :D