Trouble with new amp head HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by UnrealHawk, Jan 4, 2013.

1. UnrealHawk

UnrealHawk

Hey everyone! so I use a carvin 4x10 neo cab that is not the brx series, just the usual cab. Its supposed to run at 1200w. I use it with a behringer 180w amp head and its good but not loud. I just got a Hartke LH1000 today and was so exited to plug in but was so disappointed when I plugged it in. The first thing was where to start, I had no clue how to operate this, nor do I understand what the dial is to turn to A or B cause they sound the same either way. Anyway, I had to use the limiter on my active bass because it made some weird distorted WANG noise when i hit the string. After the limiter was on it went away. I than turned my EQ knobs to my adjustments but using the volume I noticed it only get louder if the A or B knob is adjusted. I am disappointed because this thing does not pack nearly as much punch as my 180 watt and this is supposed to be 1000w.....Im not sure if its because im using this wrong or what but I need some serious guidance. And also, what does the BRRITE button do? Im such a noob with amps so any suggestions would be helpful.

2. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You need to start by reading the owner manual....really. The trouble is in how you are setting the controls.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, your amp is a stereo amp. When it's not in Bridge mode, the power is divided between the A and B outputs. If you plug your cab into output A, make sure you turn the balance knob all the way over to the A side. If you plug it in B, turn the balance knob all the way over to the B side. The balance knob adjusts the relative amount of power going to each output. So if you have a 4-ohm cab on one side and an 8-ohm cab on the other, you can adjust the balance knob so that the 8-ohm cab gets more power to balance the output of the two cabs.

If you're going to run just one cab and you want maximum power from the amp, you need to run it in bridged mode. This uses the Speakon output jack. From the diagram on the back of the amp, it looks like you can use a normally-configured speakon plug (no special wiring required). When it's in bridged mode (you have to move the switch), the amp will put out its maximum power, but make sure you don't put anything lower than a 4-ohm load on it. Also, never move the bridge switch with the amp turned on.

Oh, yeah, and RTFM. That's what I did.

4. UnrealHawk

UnrealHawk

Yes, I did use a speakon cable to connect it to my cab, but what is this switch you speak of? maybe I do not have it bridged

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    The switch is right below the Speakon connector. Don't move it with the amp on.

See #8 below.

[​IMG]

7. B-string

And READ the owner's manual!

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Stop and go no further before you do this. Google it before you make a big mistake and fry something.

9. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    BTW, be careful. That amp has enough power to blow your cab.

10. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Oh yeah, and RTFM.

11. UnrealHawk

UnrealHawk

Thanks guys I have been doing research to make sure I do not mess this up, my question is, once in bridge mode, which I just put it in, do I still need to adjust the balance knob? or will it be good on its own (not powered it up yet)

12. Josh Thatguy

Josh Thatguy Registered abUser Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
  13. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    I don't think the balance knob has any effect in bridge mode. Just leave it in the middle.

14. UnrealHawk

UnrealHawk

hey thanks guys it works great now! and wow so much volume. I really love it. I think my cab is more for slap style cause if I turn my bass's bass knob all the way it makes a distorted sound, so I should prob save for a upgraded cab like a ampeg or something. But for right now, its serving me well for highschool xD thanks again

15. B-string

By the way RTFM is Read The F****** Manual in case you didn't know. :)
    You are going to need the info from that manual to set gain properly as well as tone controls.

16. B-string

You just proved my point :D

17. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Your Carvin doesn't "run" at 1200 watts. That is only the thermal rating for the maximum power the voice coils in the combined speakers can receive before the they get too hot and stop working.

Real life mechanical limit of your cab is somewhere around 1/2 to 2/3rds of that amount.

Cranking the bass knob much higher than 1/2 way is a sure way to start another thread tomorrow or maybe later on tonight asking everyone if you blew up your cab.

Have fun with it, but if your speakers sound stressed, they probably are.

18. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    You dont need to or want to crank all your EQ knobs to 10. Start with them at 12 o'clock. If you want more bass try turning the other knobs down a little bit instead of cranking the bass knob. to much bass will kill the speakers.

19. B-string

Hence: Read The Manual :D

20. Munjibunga

Disclosures:
    Turning the bass knob up all the way is the premier way to blow your cab. Any cab. Recommendation: don't do that.