1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trouble With stretch.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Jazzman223, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Jazzman223

Jazzman223

I am playing a song called Just a Gigilo for my school Jazz Band. There are some huge stretches with my fingers. I would just move my hands but half the time I miss when I do this.
    What should I do.

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Practice. Trying to stretch your hands won't make much of a difference, your hands are the size they are. But you can increase your accuracy when shifting positions.

3. joelns

joelns

Look for alternate fingerings on other parts of the neck.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Use your thumb as a pivot to move the entire hand.

Be careful with over stretching, as it can cause injuries.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Mushroo

Mushroo

Move your hand, don't stretch. With practice, your shifts will become accurate and effortless. A good exercise is to practice all 12 major scales over the entire range of the bass.

7. Charley Sabatino

Charley Sabatino

Disclosures:
    Endorsed by Lakland, Hartke, SIT, Kahler , Igig and Lathon Bass Wear
    I agree with all of the above...stretching your hand can lead to injury. Shifting is the key.

Gary Karr one of the finest Double Bassist IN HISTORY talks about the rolling hand..it is an efficient means of shifting and keeps unused parts of the hand relaxed..it is amazing..I have applied it to upright and electric..it improves playing ability and makes playing EFFORTLESS....

8. stratovani

stratovani

This might sound really silly and it might be stating the obvious, but I find the best thing for accuracy when shifting is to actually look at the neck. Learn where your target note is located on the neck, then look at it when the time comes to shift. Do it enough times, and you might actually be able to get away with not looking at the neck, it'll become second nature.

9. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Disclosures:
    Retrovibe Artist rota
    Learn about motion, your fingering arm, so your hand, so you fingers have a motion that flows.
    Do not neglect this and try stretching where a move should be.
    Economy of motion is fine, but if you have a flow in your playing lines you can anticipate where the hand needs to be and move it to, and through, the notes you play.

Motion is not always about economy, because motion before motion helps you execute the task. If your hand is flowing over the neck your fingers will play the notes as the pass over them.
    Since in can be assumed that songs have parts and parts repeat, then so can the motion once learned, the motion becomes part of the learned experience of playing the song, it can help you find the "groove".....after all every great groove flows.

Check out this link, it touchs on a similar subject about motion.

Mellow Down Easy
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=z84PeNimEmU