Trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by joszjak, Jan 27, 2013.

1. joszjak

joszjak

I have no idea what the problem is, but my amp is doing a strange thing where it doesnt sound all the notes, some are louder than others, some are bassier than others, some are clearer, and some start quiet and get loud, and vice versa.

Does anyone one know what the problem could be?
    I changed up the cables and tried several different basses, but its the same.

I wouldnt mind so much but I've used the amp for a total of SEVEN gig over the past year!!!

Thanks

Dane
  2. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

What amp is it? What cab are you using? What bass are you playing? Any effects?
  3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

+1 give us the whole story, all the details.
  4. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Of course more info is needed.....

But that sort of thing is often due to a loose connection somewhere. Bad solder joint, bad cable, loose connector, etc.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. joszjak

joszjak

I play a mm stingray 5, original pickups and electronics. Into a gk fusion 550 head, and a gk neo 412 cab. Straight into the amp, no effects, just one cable. The 4 pin gk cable connecting the head and the cab is new, as is the cable from the amp to the bass.

Do you need anything else?

Thanks for the help :)
  7. JonnyAngle

JonnyAngle

I'd try a plain Jane 1/4 speaker cable and see if that helps
  8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Yeah, try a normal 1/4" spkr cable, NOT an instrument cable, and if that doesn't help, the next step is taking the amp in to a qualified amp tech.
  9. Wyattsgroove

Wyattsgroove

Bad the same problem with an Eden head I had not used for some time.
    It needed to be cleaned. As the tech put it.. Sitting idle didn't help it. For some reason it oxidized really bad. Lesson learned. Now I keep a can of deoxit handy and clean my inputs and pots when needed.
    The other thing I learned is the effects loop trick, take a 1/4 input jack and plug it in and out of the loop input/output. I've also had that problem as well ( amp cuts out or gets fuzzy sounding).
  10. joszjak

joszjak

ah thats nice to know its not totally nackered! thanks for all the help. i'll see what i can do tomorrow!
  11. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

It is entirely possible you have a bad preamp tube. The new tubes these days are not 100% reliable.