Troubles getting old/new band off the ground.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by podiumboy, Feb 9, 2014.

1. podiumboy

podiumboy

Won't bore you too much with details of my band's history, as I've done so a few times in other threads. Basically; band formed in 2001, broke up in 2009, reformed in 2013 without our old singer, have new singer, trying to get back in shape so we can start doing gigs this summer.

Our new singer is a very good singer. Family man, doesn't drink a whole bunch, active national guard... basically, the complete opposite of the spiraling mess that is our old singer. But the guy is a stiff! We played publicly the first time last week in a small bar, just sort of a paid rehearsal in front of people. He just stood there completely still, hands in his pockets, and sang the songs. He doesn't play any instrument, just sings, and he never even touched the microphone. He doesn't really interact with the crowd or the other band members. The old singer was pretty good about that, and I (lead guitarist) was also sort of the assistant frontman (like The Edge is to Bono, or Joe Perry is to Steven Tyler). He and I would kind of share frontman duties, talking to the audience, sharing his microphone, that kind of think. This was sort of a weird feeling.

The rest of my band doesn't really help out either. Drummer is the drummer, doesn't have a mic, and he's usually shoved into a corner hiding behind his drum set. Bassist always has been the most uninvolved in the live shows. He usually sits down back by the drum set somewhere, and either keeps eye contact with the drummer or stares down at his own bass. Rhythm Guitarist/Keyboardist/Backing Vocalist is a little bit better, he at least awknowledges that we're playing for people and isn't afraid to make eye contact, sings the occasional lead vocal, etc.

I was at bar at a ski resort last night with a friend, having drinks and watching a band between skiing. The place was packed, and this band was really good. Two attractive 20-something sisters were the singers, and they had the place jumping. Even the members of their backing band were into the show as well. It hit me that we have a long way to go, and we might not ever get there.

2. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

TIP: When it comes to live performances - delivering the material is more important than the material itself. ;)

3. podiumboy

podiumboy

We're a bunch of 30 something guys, obviously we're not going to have the same reaction as hot young girls singing "Sex on Fire", but I've seen bar bands of just guys playing popular covers that really put on an exciting show.

4. Joe Louvar

Joe Louvar

yeah me too, take your band mates to see those shows - so they can see/learn how its done. good luck and best wishes.

5. Register to disable this ad