1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Troubleshooting an Ampeg 6x10 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by grimvox, Dec 3, 2013.

1. grimvox

grimvox

First post here. Brief history. Just bought (yesterday) a bunch of new (to me) gear. Peavy Cirrus 5 18 volt. Ampeg 6x10 cab. Mesa Carbine M9 amp.

The amp and cab were my band's now previous bass player. They have been around for a while. There's also a Fuhrman power conditioner and a rack-mounted tuner.

Hooked everything up last night and was working fine. After about 20 minutes the sound cuts out. There is TINY amount of volume coming from the cab. Very tinny sounding. Plugged the amp into another cab in the room and sounded great. Know it's the cab.

It doesn't seem like a blown speaker. I've had plenty of experience with that. There is none of that broken sound. Just the very quiet tinny sound.

One of the speakers in the cab has been replaced within the last 2 months.

Any ideas out there to what it could be? Would the higher voltage bass blow the crossover?

Thanks!
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'll bet a wire came loose inside. Check the replaced speaker.
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Not your bass but how you used it, may well have toasted the crossover in the cab. Inspection time.
  4. grimvox

grimvox

What do you mean how I used it? Kept the gain on the amp at about 25% and the master volume about 50%. Had the volume knob on the bass cranked.
  5. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Meaning the voltage the bass works on doesn't matter. If you reckon you weren't pushing the cab hard then why would you think you blew the crossover?

On the face of it Jimmy's bet looks more likely now. Knob position doesn't tell me anything specific but a hotter than most bass signal into a master on "half" could easily equal rated RMS power out on heavy notes.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Usually I agree, DUW, but with an M9 on those settings and a 610hlf, it's pretty unlikely.
  7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

My bad, I was referring to rated rms of amp. I don't actually know what that is.