Troy Sanders on Hunter

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by socialleper, Nov 18, 2012.

1. socialleper

socialleper

Does anyone know if he used his new Warwick SS2 custom on any of the tracks on Hunter, or if he was still using his Fender P-Deluxe custom?
  2. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

According to an interview with him in an old issue of Bass Player that came out Just before release - On the record he used a ('76-'78) Ric plugged into one of Brent's Marshall heads. (The Ric as well as a Thunderbird from around the same time was on loan to the band from the producer) A majority of the "cleaner" tones on the album came from his T.C Electronics Blacksmith head with the custom Warwick, the Thunderbird and I believe he used one of his old Yamaha basses. Live, outside of U.S shows I believe it's strictly his Yamaha and a few other Fender basses.
  3. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

Oh, on Curl of the Burl I believe it was the SS2, with the Blacksmith(Cranking the tube tone knob) and a Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie! for extra grit. You can find the master track on YouTube.
  4. socialleper

socialleper

The live performances I've seen on YouTube have mostly been with the Warwick, with the Fender in there occasionally. Weird.

I wonder why he'd use a Ric and Thunderbird to record when he's never used one anywhere else.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

I'll try to find that article. I thought it was odd too - But the studio to live translation in terms of gear isn't always consistent. I remember reading Geddy was trying out a few spectors during the gear testing stages of CA (None appeared on album) so anything can happen in studio.
  7. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

I read that article too. I remember him joking that he tried to steal the Rickenbacker but the producer caught him....
  8. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

Yeah, hah. I'd assume that the Ric was used on fuzz heavy tracks ("Spectre Light", "Black Tongue") it doesn't have the usual growl. I'd love to know which one he used on "Blasteroid", it's full and really cuts. (Most of the time I find his tone to be more supportive, you hear him but it's not as right up front as you want it to be.) Favorite tone would have to be either "Blasteroid" or that fuzzed kick to the teeth sound in The Last Baron. (I know that's CtS but its fantastic)
  9. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

I'm sure he did. If you've played and/or listened to a well recorded Warwick (like the early Incubus stuff) it definitely has a signature sound. There's a few songs on The Hunter which would have it on there. Sidenote, I was pretty friggin let down with The Hunter. Totally phoned this one in, even with Mike Elizondo at the helm which is sad. This should've been a bigger and better record (if even possible) than CtS.
  10. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

Well the lack of an overall concept weakens the deal, all the songs feel disjointed and a little more radio friendly. I still love the band and I enjoy the album, but it's the only time I've had to pick a few songs from a Mastodon album to skip over. (For some reason I could never get into Black Tongue, and while I enjoy "The Creature Lives" it was very fillerish as an album track, maybe as a bonus track I would have been a little happier.) and going back through, I can say he used the Warwick on "Thickening" it just has that... Well, thick Warwick sound. (Excluding the studio magic Dirk Lance used on a few songs, I've never heard a thin, tinny 'Wick)
  11. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

+1

Feels like the backbone was ripped right out of their sound. It's still Mastodon...but just a spineless shell of flesh lying on the ground. LOL ok, maybe not that extreme but ya get the point.
  12. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    I feel like I need to see them perform it live before I got the album. It didn't make sense beforehand. After seeing them play the songs all became clear. Those songs get the crowd bouncing and their older songs sounded flat in comparison. I suppose that is problem with literally growing as a band. The more extreme metal elements don't work as well in a larger venue. CTS is more of a listening record as far as I am concerned. The Hunter was meant to get audiences moving and it succeeded.
  13. socialleper

socialleper

The Hunter is a simpler album, with fewer down tuned tracks. Curl of the Burl sounds like they used an octave or harmonizer to get a deeper sound. I like All the Heavy Lifting. The beginning of Creature Lives has a really nice tone to it, that's why I was asking.

Not every album makes everyone happy. I think I like The Hunter more than Blood Mountain, which was a little too prog-y of me. I don't know what the point of being "radio friendly" is anymore when the radio only plays top 40/pop, country and mariachi. There isn't a single real rock station in LA that will play anything heavier than Black Keys.
  14. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

Radio friendly is just a B.S term for "It's more accessible" I honestly love each and every album they have put out, but The Hunter gave me an odd feeling, I loved Blasteroids, used Thickening to teach a student 12/8, and I believe Bedazzled Fingernails/Octopus/Stargasm have some of the most upbeat, fantastical riffs in Mastodon's discography, but it left me wanting something more. Oh and on Curl of the Burl it uses their variation on drop A (Same one used "Mother Puncher" , "Iron Tusk" , "Circle of Cysquatch" ect.) which is A-G-C-F. I also believe most of The Hunter is in Drop C (C-G-C-F) where on previous albums it was a healthy mix of D standard, Drop C and the A variation.
  15. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

Oh and I forgot to mention... I LOVE the choruses on almost every song from "The Hunter" I think the mixture of great production and song writing really meets here.
  16. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp Supporting Member

We get a steady diet of the latest bubble gum rock here...nickelback and I don't know how many dozens of three word band names; none of which have any balls or soul. I agree with ya though. I'm a HUGE Blood Mountain fan so The Hunter was a disappointment. I do like how they're an obviously dynamic band though.
  17. shackled

shackled

This thread just made me throw the disc in for another spin. It keeps growing on me...
  18. SleepingMikkel

SleepingMikkel

Yeah man, give it another shot. (Also, sorry if I kinda overpost on this thread. I just enjoy talking about this band)
  19. socialleper

socialleper

+1 to this. I have to do this with a lot of albums. Bands like this write what they want to write because they aren't really in it for the money. I'm sure these guys get paid, but they aren't making MTV Cribs money. You have to love what you do, and if this is where they are fine.
    Sometimes you need a break from a band or just forget an album was ever made. I'm a huge Opeth fan but I refuse to acknowledge the existence of Heritage; I'm a Death Metal guy that can stand a little prog. I'm my mind Blaze Baily never sang for Iron Maiden, they went on hiatus. Same goes for Anthrax; after they released Persistence of Time there is a giant empty spot and then Worship Music.
  20. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Lol so because of this thread (DEFINITELY a Wick on "Black Tongue", btw!) I called this up on the iPod yesterday and am giving it a chance to grow on me a little bit more. I'm feeling better with it now than I did when it first was released.

I probably felt that way because around that time is when I got the CtS instrumental record and that just made that particular record go off the charts into all-time greatness for me, personally. The Hunter has better bits than I recall, and the sonics of the record were always good, and are (obviously) still there.
  21. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    There definitely aren't the holy crap riffs parts that some of the other albums have but the song writing is their best yet. I think that is why it takes some time to grow on ya. It does not have the visceral strength of some of their other albums but then you start picking apart the songs and you are like wow this is incredible.