Trucks...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James Hart, Sep 15, 2012.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I did a search and didn't find any specific truck threads... but I only clicked back a few pages of my search.

I'm sure there are a lot of truck fans here, I'd love to see pictures and hear about TB Trucks.

My wife has always wanted one, but it was never practical... the other day in a long conversation about them we've decided to hunt down and fix up an older Chevy/GMC 2WD. I've been spending a lot of time reading and researching... and shopping.

Right now, if I had the cash on hand, I'd be buying this truck
    [​IMG]

It's a 1969 Chevy C20 Longhorn that had a ground up restro done a bunch of years back and ready for a little fresh TLC. It had the drivetrain swapped with a 1989 Formula Firebird 5.7 & 4 speed auto tranny, few other standard 'modern' upgrades along with it.

[​IMG]

The truck will be a dual purpose wife 'Grocery Getter' with a bit of 'running to Home Depot' from me :)

If this one doesn't work out, I'll be continuing to focus on 67-72 but also looking at 73-87 Chevy/GMC as well. I like both styles, but the lower nose of the earlier ones is a plus for the wife driving it. Either way, 3" lowered spindles and 70s hotrod rims/street tires will be part of the upgrades :smug:

one more picture...
    [​IMG]
  2. Exxcell

Exxcell

I would hop on board with a restoration ASAP, as priced for quality parts have sky rocketed. And I would try to stick with something with matched Motor/tranny. I would also guess that truck would get 6-9MPG if it's a 350 4BBL like mine was. Really hurts the pocket book.

I wouldn't trust the odometer on anything that old, as they tend to not work and are very easy to run back to lower milages. Ever seen 'Matilda'?

Other than those too items, I love working on older cars, especially trucks for the simplicity and easy to get to parts. Working on them is a breeze, if your not cutting bolts and scraping rust.

'69 C-10s are one of my favorite body styles.

And as always, if your not extremely knowledgeable about cars, always have someone there to look it over with you.

My '69 C10 I had for a while...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    It's the complete engine/tranny from a wrecked 1989 Formula Firebird... the restro was done 40k miles ago. No clue on the chassis or donor parts mileage before that. It's restro is actually documented in a "How to restore a Chevy Truck" book. I'll see when I actually go to look at the truck, I'm still in the info gathering / prep stage and happened upon a seemingly perfect buy.

But yeah, my main concern in buying this new toy (which ever truck I end up with) will be rust and frame straightness. Most everything else will be rebuilt/replaced :)

I haven't worked on old cars in a while, but I know my way around an engine some. Looking forward to getting greasy and busting a knuckle or 2.

[edit] I hit quote before your pictures were added... NICE TRUCK! [/edit]
  4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I like having a pickup around for the odd event, but I don't have room for one. My project 280ZX is already taking up my side of the garage and my Nissan Murano is parked outside.

I had an 85 Chevy short box with a 305 V8 for a while - fun pickup!

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

I love trucks, always had one since I started driving in 1986. This is my 2002 Ram. I bought it in 2005. It has a 360 in it, so I get about 10MPG. The interior is more like a car with heated leather seats and power all around. I added the canopy and had the rims powdercoated right before we moved.

[​IMG]

Here's a link to the thread when I got the bumpers and rims powdercoated: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f34/powdercoating-767856/

This is my pops 1951 Chevy he restored. It looked decent when he got it from my uncle, but he replaced the cab, all the glass, put a new wood deck in the bed, did a bunch of bodywork, and fixed up the interior. I'm not much of a mechanic, so I helped with the interior upgrades like running cable for Bluetooth and USB and did some upholstery work.

[​IMG]

-Mike
  7. Catbuster

Catbuster

I've got a 2002 F350 tweaked 7.3 dually used to yank around a gooseneck and other trailers.

With that said, I use my '98 jeep with the 4.0 bulletproof straight six for most general use. The 7.3 is only for work, and thus only is at 127K.

My dad has an '08 6.4 and one of my employees (who is high on my pay scale) has a new 6.7 Scorpion in a 350 single. And that thing can flat haul it. Still doesn't have the 7.3's grunt, but it definitely is the closest thing power-wise to a 7.3 doing all it can do except the Duramax.
  8. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I have been looking for a 67/68 C10. But all I can seem to find are trucks that are to far gone to bother with, long beds, and trucks that people have either replaced the awesome 67/68 hood and grill with a 69-72 hood or after market cowl hood, and an aftermarket grill. Or there is this stupid trend where people replace the bed with a 90s model step side bed.

I had a 1971 short bed years ago, I miss it.

But some day soon something similar to this will be in my driveway

[​IMG]
  9. Exxcell

Exxcell

Hey, thanks!

What I was trying to get at with matched motor/tranns is that they should match each other (duh) and the vehicle. That FB engine wasn't made for that truck. In fact, I bet that truck is close to twice as heavy as a 89' F-Bird.
    Pontiac engines aren't very desirable either.

Why didn't they just go crate? You can buy a professionally made 454 & trans for just under 7k. I bet they spent pretty close to that if they needed to mod the motor and trans mounts, which might be a PITA if you decide to switch back.

And a 'wrecked' F-Bird doesn't sound to brilliant either.

But it is an awesome looking truck.

If it were me, that would be close to my last option unless I planned on pullin the motor.

Im not trying to rain on your parade, I just don't want to see you get ripped off in long haul.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    Awesome! That truck is a *little* too low for my tastes. I'm looking to do a drop spindle up front and as low as the back can get without doing a C notch.

I just spent a good while on the phone with the guy selling the truck I pictured... the price dropped a bit AND he seems willing to hold it for me for a little while until I'm ready. Now I'm more excited to go see it in person :)

Pilgram: The truck that got us talking is an 85 305 C20... neighbor passed and his grandson put it forsale. I was thinking in it's shape that $800 would be a far price (LOTS of rust, beat interior, chalked paint, parked for 5 years)... he's looking for $5k :eek:
  11. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    The truck was bought 12 years back, just after the mods/restoration for $14k. It was a weekly driver for all that time up until 2 months ago... again, I haven't even seen the truck in person yet. I know enough to know when to walk away if'n it's looking like a headache.

A super clean barn find, redone from the ground up with a very mildly built 454 crate motor would be perfect... but I'm hoping to step into a drivable, presentable truck for under $4-5k and plan out and budget the upgrade work. While the wife is wanting to DRIVE a truck, I'm looking forward to getting greasy :cool:

I hear you and appreciate the advice... there are a few local trucks at the moment, but most of the unmolested ones are 3 on the tree. The wife doesn't drive a stick, and will not attempt to learn :meh:
  12. fuzzy beard

fuzzy beard

Here is my 1967 International Harvester 908a. Saved her from the junk yard. This will most likely end up being a rat project.

View attachment 289891
  13. unclekebm

unclekebm

14. blendermassacre

blendermassacre

I've currently got an 04 Dodge Ram Quad Cab. I've got to get rid of it soon though, because I need more room for kids. I love it though. It's got 230000 on it and is still going strong.
  15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

That engine is a small block Chevy, not a Pontiac engine. Third gen F body cars never got a Pontiac V8, only the SBC was used. For that truck the engine they swapped in was a direct bolt in, no voodoo or fancy mounts required.

Lots of potential with that engine without even breaking a sweat (or breaking the bank). While there's nothing quite like the look of a big block when you pop the hood, that's the last thing that nose heavy truck needs. First thing I'd do is ditch the ram horn manifolds and put on a nice set of headers. Maybe a nice hydraulic roller cam and some mild port work and you could really wake that thing up. Depending what rear gear ratio it has you could haul a$$ and get respectable gas mileage at the same time.
  16. kserg

kserg

Love trucks, does my xterra count, since its one of the last SUVs that shares almost everything with a truck (frontier)?

I was really close to getting frontier, but it was a little bit too long for me, I need my car to fit into tight spaces. I do regret it sometimes though...

Was thinking about this: [​IMG]

Got this instead:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (att 33" mud terrains BFG tiers and some dents and scratches...

now that i look at it, man i beat it up in 3 years, i need to fix it up a bit and clean it... The rig is so scratched up and dented from offroading.
  17. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    You are a good man... that should make for a nice looking rat rod

:D first truck I bought was for my rollerskates back in the 80s

that was my assumption... the engine is an L98, just like vettes and camaros of similar vintage.

I was hoping you would see and reply to my thread :)

Sure thing! My search, while focused on pickups, also includes 73-91 Suburbans (I love the look of the 67-72, but hate the lack of a driver side back door) as well as Jimmy's and Blazers.
  18. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

This thread needs a Ford. I have owned lots of Rancheros, Rangers and F150's...this is my current truck
    2005 F150.
    [​IMG]
  19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Supporting Member

You didn't think I'd miss a thread with an old bowtie in it, did you? ;)

That's a cool looking truck. If I bought it, aside from headers and a general cleaning/detailing under the hood, I think I'd.....

a) Ditch the stock wheels & hubcaps in favor of some nice aluminum ones. Absolutely NO 20" or larger wheels.... a nice set of 15" or 16" Welds or Centerlines. Now this is the tricky part, if that truck still has four wheel drum brakes you'll have 6 lug wheels. If someone swapped later disc brakes you'll have 5 lug wheels. Rim cost and availability will be dependent on the lug pattern.

b) I'd lower the back of the truck to match the front. That truck should be a coil spring/trailing arm rear suspension, so lowering it would be as easy as swapping in a different set of rear springs. The front sits low enough (for me) as it is.

c) Lose the camper special mirrors.

D) Either get a tonneau cover or have the snaps along the bed rail removed.

Eventually (if it was mine) I'd paint it a different color. Something like a medium to dark blue would be my pick. A long box truck painted white screams "Uncle Jesse" to me.

I dig the Blazers. I've owned somewhere near a dozen of them and still have my 79 that I've owned for 20 years. The 69-72 Blazers are the older body style (like that 69 C-10) and they have a fully removable hard top. The 73-75 Blazer also had the full removable top, in 1976 they went to the half top, which continued until 1991.

Some worthless Blazer trivia here..... The Blazer was known as a K5 from 1969 to 1987. Even though the Blazer continued mostly unchanged until 1991, the "K" designation followed the four wheel drive pickup in 1988 (two wheel was a "C"). The Blazer was known as a "V" (or "R" if it was two wheel drive) from 1988-1991
  20. Catbuster

Catbuster

I have to say, I'm surprised there's less love for the 7.3 than expected. Actually, I'm really surprised that there's been nothing except my post on 3/4 or one ton trucks. Just those little wimpy things called half ton trucks.

I never really got the appeal. Not fuel efficient, and really, the GVWRs are too low to really do anything except tow a boat. If all I was going to do was use it as a grocery getter or throw a weed eater in the back, I'd be using a Ranger or S10. Don't get the appeal.

Quick edit- I'm not trying to be inflammatory, but I seriously don't understand the appeal and as usual, am jut throwing a viewpoint out there.
  21. James Hart

James Hart

Disclosures:
    :D

I've got my eyes set on some 15x8 polished 'salt flats' and looking to go 235/70 up front and 275/60 in the rear. The truck in question had power discs, I'm assuming 5x5 lugs, but the rims I'm after can be ordered with most any pattern I need.

I'm assuming it already had drop spindles or possibly cut coils... Either way I intend to completely rebuild the suspensions and steering. I *might* consider doing a C notch in the frame to drop the rear more level... but it's not in the plan. I hope nice rims and fat rear tires will make it look less 'jacked up' in the back.

That is a thought, but nothing I've researched yet.

I know the wood will be replaced with new and the supports will be replaced with stainless... beyond that, I've not planned anything. I'd even consider a modern fiberglass cap eventually.

Well, about the color/look... I love the "Uncle Jesse" look myself :) but mostly building this for the wife. She is REALLY liking this one
    [​IMG]

I will most likely do a two toned Pink & white job for her... mostly white and a slightly paler pink. Different pattern than that too. I'm not looking to hunt down and install body side trim like that.

Understood, ascetically the wife and I hate modern 'bubble trucks' as she calls them... I know they are better in many ways, but the old ones are just cool. We aren't fans of slammed trucks either, but the wife is 5 foot nothin and a lifted 4x4 is just too big. Also, this is for cruising around town (I live near Seaside Heights NJ), a 2WD truck makes more sense. Yes it will also be set up to tow a boat, don't own one, but I will someday :) As far as pickup over any other style... I'm sick of borrowing trucks from friends or renting.

As far as your truck... the lady across the street from me growing up had a 4 door dually with a cap as her daily driver. Had a big diesel in it. My current neighbor has a big green F350 (its got his welder loaded in the back) for work and a beater Ranger for everyday. I LOVE big trucks, just not anything needed in my life. Kinda like bringing an SVT Fridge to a coffee house acoustic set :p

The ex wife and I had a late 80s 4.3 S15 GMC she'd bought new just before we started dating... little truck had some snot. If'n I wasn't looking to build and maintain a classic, an S10/S15 is exactly what I'd be looking at.